Has anyone had any luck with Ryobi Weed Eaters??

grumpygrizzly

Threads
I've got seven of them right outside my shop right now that are about ready to head for the scrap yard. I've spent way too much time changing gas lines, filters, cleaning the gunk off them and tearing down and cleaning the carbs and they just won't run.

Is there something with the diaprahms in the float pin and seat area that's making them susceptible to leaking from the ethanol fuel being left in them for a while or am I missing something else obvious?

I know a lot of shops that will just point to the dumpster out back but, I'm not a shop yet, just learning the while repair side of things and people actually donate these things to me instead of just tossing them in the dumpster. I try my damndest to get them in working order and sell them to make a little cash.

It's come to the point where I won't take them or definitely won't pay more than $10 for one that looks to be in really decent shape. The whole "It ran last year.." story is like a death sentence for those things.

Any ideas?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The best thing is to just replace the carb.
They also have crap coils but if you write them about the coil they will send you a few.
I had 2 last year burn out the coil. They sent me 2 coils.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Carb is only about $15 in eBay

grumpygrizzly

Threads
Carb is only about $15 in eBay

That's not bad considering a rebuild kit at Jacks is around $29.00. I can't see putting that much into these weed eaters.. Doesn't leave any meat on the bone as they say..

I need to jump onto EBay and grab a couple more Arnold Multi-Tools before they dissappear. Thanks for the reminder..

bckskin2

Threads
Yes one good, one bad. My latest one has made me hate the company. They would not stand behind the warranty because I tried to use a trimmer with a defective carb. I thought it was my problem and tried to keep it running. When it dies I am going to get a Sthil as I have two good dealers close. Good luck with your business. I hope it works well.

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
I have had luck with the older Ryobi 700 series trimmers. I bought a 790r in 2001 and it worked great. I used it until 2009, and when I was moving in 2013, I found it, and it actually started on the first pull. I still use it today as a front line weed eater for my business. I love the older Ryobi's, they run like a champ if you take care of them. I heard that these newer Ryobi's are having never ending issues and they aren't dependable. Oh yeah, I think mine is illegal in CA, not 100% sure though. Has anyone else had luck/problems with their Ryobi's?

bckskin2

Threads
My luck has been all bad and customer service was worse. When it dies it will be replaced with a Sthil!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
My luck has been all bad and customer service was worse. When it dies it will be replaced with a Sthil!

I commented on a ryobi Facebook post about 3 coils going bad. A rep sent me a email and a few coils.

bckskin2

Threads
They told me it was my fault for trying to use a defective carb that was on the new trimmer when I bought and would not replace the defective carb. Also the choke easily gets knocked to 1/2 shutting off the engine. The Customer rep was rude and condescending.

LazerZLandscaping

Threads

I have 4 Sthil weed eaters and they are by far the best I've ever owned. 2nd best is Echo. I have two of them.