Hard to start 725, changed everything? Any ideas

tferrari

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an Ariens Max Zoom 60 with Kohler 725 Engine, 5 years old only light use at home.

Recently the battery was getting weaker, I checked with multimeter and it was not charging. So I installed new stator and voltage rectifier then it would not start.

I figured parts were cheap so just change them, I replaced the carburetor, both ignition coils and spark plugs, ignition switch fuel filter, Also replaced flywheel key as that sheared during my 'repairs'. Still no start, then noticed air coming from ine head during cranking. Removed the head and the gasket was shot so ordred new head gasket. Fitted that and it runs great now, only problem is its really difficult to start. Once its going its fine but I dont know why its hard to start. The choke seems to have no effect on starting (I checked and its closing fully when lever is pressed)

Video of the hard starting can be seen on this link

I've not tried adjusting the carb, not too sure about that, figured I'd post here first to see if anyone can point me in the right direction. I can live with the hard starting but would love to solve it, especially if I'm overlooking something simple.

thanks in advance

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would check the flywheel key to make sure that you didn't shear it again. Are you tightening the flywheel to factory torque spec.

tferrari

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the tip. Yes I checked the new key and its intact, I did tighten to spec as well.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Need to tighten the motor mount bolts up also since the engine is loose. Can be seen shaking in the video. Depending on ground wire locations could effect power to the fuel solenoid on the carb.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When all else fails read the instruction manual
The engine is started with the throttle in the fast position not the slowest position

tferrari

Forum Newbie
Threads
Need to tighten the motor mount bolts up also since the engine is loose. Can be seen shaking in the video. Depending on ground wire locations could effect power to the fuel solenoid on the carb.
thanks again will tighten tomorrow

tferrari

Forum Newbie
Threads
When all else fails read the instruction manual
The engine is started with the throttle in the fast position not the slowest position
thanks for the tip, I just checked and it does say start in 3/4 position. I've owned it since new and always started on minimum. I'll try the 3/4 position once the storm passes

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
If the old carb was working properly, and you replaced it with a *ccheap* one , that may be the problem.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In your video it shows you are trying to start the engine in the choke open position, not closed. Is there a reason for this? Kohler engines start best in the choke closed and throttle at 3/4 position.

upupandaway

Threads
Need to tighten the motor mount bolts up also since the engine is loose. Can be seen shaking in the video.
I think what you are seeing is the flywheel screen is off center.look at :19. I looked at the block while it was running and don't really see the block shaking.
My $.02.