Hard Start

alanb21

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was given a Toro 20074, S/N 270029615 personal pace walk behind. It has a Tecumseh LV195XA, spec 362090E engine on it.
When trying to start, the engine binds. Releasing the key and trying again produces a slow crank. The battery is brand new.
It acts as if a pressure release, if equiped, is not working. Documentation from Toro or Tecumseh is no help. It will start and run fine if
I use a jump box instead of its battery. I have not taken anything apart pending answers.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Alan

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like your battery has given up the ghost, when was the last time it was replaced? I would hook up my meter across the battery and test to see your voltage while cranking. If it falls below 10VDC time to replace the battery. If you can’t preform this test, many times a good Toro dealer will install a new battery, at know charge, to see if the battery is the problem. DON’T PURCHASE A NEW BATTERY TO DO THE TEST ON YOUR OWN, AS THEY ARE NON-RETURNABLE.

alanb21

Forum Newbie
Threads
The battery is brand new. I made sure that it was fully charged prior to attempting to start.
The new battery exhibits the same condition as two others.

alanb21

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Rivets,
Forgive me for not thanking you for your reply.
The cranking voltage was 10.62.
I'm not familiar with Tecumseh engines and do not know if it has an automatic pressure release similar to the manual ones on Husqvarna chainsaws.
One again, thanks for your help.