Hard snap back portable generator

Daniel 3721

Threads
I'm having issues with starting my portable generator. It pulls easy with no sparkplug.
I removed the valve cover and clean carbon buildup out. I removed and cleaned the carburetor. The spark plug is gapped correctly and so is the (I think it's called) magneto on the flywheel. The flywheel key, which is a half circle key, was slightly out of position. I removed it and put it back correctly and I'm still having issues.
If I slowly pull the pull cord a few times, it will pull start it. does anybody have any ideas? I live off grid and this is my source of electricity. I appreciate any help.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Describe "out of position"
Is it a Briggs engine? Are valves adjusted properly?
What are the engine numbers?

Daniel 3721

Threads
Describe "out of position"
Is it a Briggs engine? Are valves adjusted properly?
What are the engine numbers?
If the key is out of position any then it sheared. And will throw the ignition timing off.
So, I probably need to open it up and adjustment the timing. Ugh. I assumed shearing the key meant to actually break the key.
Buy out of position, it was slightly forward from it's normal position in the slot, on the drive shaft. It wasn't broken or bent.
It's not a B&S. I hope that's okay. It's a Duro Max 5500 e dual fuel.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
So, I probably need to open it up and adjustment the timing. Ugh. I assumed shearing the key meant to actually break the key.
Buy out of position, it was slightly forward from it's normal position in the slot, on the drive shaft. It wasn't broken or bent.
It's not a B&S. I hope that's okay. It's a Duro Max 5500 e dual fuel.
No, you just need a new key. the key is what holds the flywheel in time with the crankshaft.

Daniel 3721

Threads
Thanks, too late I already opened it up the timing was off. Probably because of the key slipping I appreciate everyone's time

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
oh wow. that's got to be a pretty hard stop for the gears to jump time. Unless someone opened it up for some reason prior to you.

shadetree#1

Threads
Also clean the taper on the crankshaft and the inside taper on the flywheel.
If it's has any lube it will shear again. The key is only for timing, it's not to hold the flywheel from slipping. Also properly torque the flywheel nut.

Some people like top lube the crank and flywheel so it removes easier next time. this is not a good thing. It needs to be a dry friction fit.

Daniel 3721

Threads
Also clean the taper on the crankshaft and the inside taper on the flywheel.
If it's has any lube it will shear again. The key is only for timing, it's not to hold the flywheel from slipping. Also properly torque the flywheel nut.

Some people like top lube the crank and flywheel so it removes easier next time. this is not a good thing. It needs to be a dry friction fit.
That's a great tip!I appreciate it. I'm still waiting for the gasket kit. I'm going to replace all the gaskets while I have it torn apart.