Harbor Freight 6.5 HP. one engine 3 years old, failed to start, complete carb area disassemble and clean, NO help. NEW carb, NO help, will not start.

russbow98

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Harbor Freight 6.5 HP. one engine 3 years old, failed to start, complete carb area disassemble and clean, NO help. NEW carb, NO help, will not start.
bumped a key/????? Bought a new one 10 months ago. Now 14.5 hours on it. Only used NON alcohol gas with 1 oz per gallon of "SEA FOAM" ran every 30 days and started on first pull. Always warmed 5 min before any load, and then very light load for first few splits, on my log splitter. Sat, after the 30 days, it did start, but ran very rough, then only on full choke, split 4 very small limbs, it quit. No attempt to even try. As it left the piston 18" out of the cylinder, I removed the air filter, using an eye dropper added some gas, and it ran about 5 to 7 seconds, but long enough to retract the piston. I have NOT had time to check to see if there is gas in the carb bowl, but this is exactly what the first engine did. IF there is gas in the bowl, but it does try to start when dribbling direct into air intake, what on earth can be wrong. TWO motors, exhibit the same symptom, what am I missing?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Harbor Freight 6.5 HP. one engine 3 years old, failed to start, complete carb area disassemble and clean, NO help. NEW carb, NO help, will not start.
Dribbling gas into the intake and starting or attempting to start normally means not getting fuel from the carb. But you mentioned a new carb. So either there is something blocking the fuel jet in the carb, which could also include a jet in the bowl nut. Something else to try is change the spark plug. I haven't had any experience with the HF engines, but have seen similar issues on Honda engines that would start and die, or start and run a short period of time until the plug got hot and then would quit.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
are you sure you have the fuel shut off on the carburetor open?
the top grey lever is the choke, the one below it is the fuel shut off, push it to the right.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
HONDACARB2.jpg You would be surprised how many people over look this, or just don't look at the little sticker that tells them which way to push it.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
@Scrubcadet10 Worked on a small generator last year that the sticker instructions for the fuel shutoff were backwards.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Must've been put on at 4:59 on a friday...
Kind of funny when the carb has off stamped to the left which is correct and on to the right stamped into the metal part of the carb, but the sticker above the fuel shutoff has on to the left and off to the right.

russbow98

Forum Newbie
Threads
are you sure you have the fuel shut off on the carburetor open?
the top grey lever is the choke, the one below it is the fuel shut off, push it to the right.
Absolutely yes, As I mentioned I used the first engine for over 3 years, and the 2nd one for 14 hours over 10 months. Ignition ON, fuel ON, choke ON regular start routine. THANKS, I had not heard of the sticker being backwards. I also unscrew the bolt on the bottom of the carb bowl just enough to see gas come out, to double check. THANKs

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
try unhooking the vent from the fuel tank and to be sure the tank is venting properly (Air cant get in, fuel cant go out) Or loosen the gas cap.

Rocky J

Threads
I have that engine on my log splitter, its great and I love it. Mine would start and die, I left gas in it from the year before so I drained every hole I could drain and put in new gas, same thing, so removed carb and cleaned , same thing, tested with propane, same thing , So I was going to change every part starting with cheapest first. Spark plug was first and fixed it . it was the one that came in it but low hours.