hannay reel

bbbobbbo69

Threads
Hey guys, Never had issues with starting the Z & then bugger me done few laps other day & pulled up to answer phone /slash . Jumped back on & "clunk" ! Thought I'd forgot 1 of the safety's as that's the sound it made. No. All gd. & should've started but "clunk".Wiggled wires , bounced on seat, made sure relay was snug ( worked its way half out once & that had me stuffed for a gd. while ! ) as I turned key few more times expecting it to start. Nope. Soon noticed that not every time I turned key would it clunk.many times it done nothing.Noticed later the hour meter was blanking out periodically & then I noticed if bit of weight was applied to ignition key in a certain way when it went from on to start it was sort of crackling. No smell or smoke or things getting hot that shouldn't but a softish crackle until key turned back. Next try it would either do nothing or occasionally clunk again.
I had that panel off week before to fix throttle cable so I'd lifted it out again during these latest checks & made sure all plugs under there were snug.
SO confidant it's not safety switch & leaning heavily to it being the ignition switch of course but then got to reading it could be the solenoid. I'm as fuckin colourblind as a mofo colourblind bat & hence never took a liking to elecs. of any sorts through school & beyond & shits me to no end nowadays being near clueless of this' electrickery'.
Anyways I need to get to a job before any payments are due in to buy new ignition so hoping 1 of you champs will give a step by step for pillocks on how to (a) make seat switch redundant & (b) bypass ignition switch to start her direct via starter. Please. - Got no offsider to hop in seat as I start it is why want to bypass that switch.
Cheers & open for suggestions if my diagnosis is shite you think !?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In the back of the owners manual is the wiring diagram
Get a magnifying glass and look at the back of the key switch which should have the same letters cast into the base or stamped into the pins
For starting all of them are connected together
I like to test these mowers by using short jumper leads pluged into the back of the individual plugs thus by passing the suspect switch .
Do you have a piggy back solenoid on the starter or a remote solenoid ?
There is also a starting relay which can go bad.

Before you do anything take the finger guard off the mower and see if you can rotate the engine.
While you were having a leak, the carb may have been doing the same and filled the cylinder with fuel.
Take both plugs out and see if the engine cranks, keep the plugs well out of the way because singed eyebrows are no longer fashionable .

bbbobbbo69

Threads
Haha I like it mate ! I was hoping I beat anyone posting coz.......well bugger me, I must've stared in my sad, panicked gaze at the right spot long enough as the beast fired up . One of them plugs is playing funny buggers with me as I basically pulled every plug I could get my hands on , wiped over all open ends a bit, blew a sharp bit of air on them & refitted together as tight as .Fuses also & went through the safety steps checks. I won't lie, I then plonked down in seat feeling defeated had 2 bounces, swore at it as I turned key & voila !!
Couldn't tell ya where fault was, but yeah.......cutting grass tomorrow !!! Sorted.
Thanks again fella, your a legend. No doubt we'll converse more down track... Lol !!!
Take it easy.(y)

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Can still be a bad F56 wire terminal with a broken spring hinge.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The wiring is not particularly well supported , particularly the bits under the lap bars.
Apart from a terminal fracturing as Star has mentioned I have come across a lot more ZTR's where the wire has broken at the crimp than I do on tractor style mowers.
And these are buggers cause they work fine till you go over a big bump or bounce a bit loading / unloading then they won't work.

bbbobbbo69

Threads
Noted replies fellas.cheers. **note to self-avoid bumps & tree wells more today ** (y)

jmill972

Forum Newbie
Threads
looking for advice on repairing a hannay manual hose reel

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Can't help with the original question but would suggest going back into your other two post and hitting the delete button on the post to help avoid issues with people posting in three different locations. Needs to be done before anybody post to those threads. Double posting is frowned upon and triple posting is just annoying.

jmill972

Forum Newbie
Threads
I cant even figure out how to delete them.. what's annoying is getting responses starting with "cant help with the original question".... I was just hoping to reach as many people as possible, instead you wanna call me out for not knowing a rule that was never told to me??

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I wasn't trying to be rude, I was trying to avoid multiple replies in multiple locations that make responses hard to keep track off. And everybody that double post gets called out on this site. Another unwritten rule is giving attitude to the professional techs will get you ignored..

Last edited: