Half stuck engine

Alysha

Forum Newbie
Threads
Alright...
I’m going crazy. I had a fuel float issue and had gas mixing with my oil. Fixed the issue, cleaned the oil out, and ran it for a few seconds to burn the rest out and turned the mower off. I added fresh oil and when I go to start it, it will click and try and turn but won’t move. I can manually turn it halfway backwards and half way forwards and when I go go as far as it will let me I hear a loud bang - like metal on metal. I have tried manually turning it and it won’t budge. Just clank, clank, clank. Did I seize my engine? I tried the PB blaster trick and it did nothing. Any insight?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is the deck choked with barbed wire or a log chain? Did you WALK the yard prior to mowing?

Remove the spark plug/s. Rotate the blade/s by hand. Engine should turn over easy.

slomo

Alysha

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is the deck choked with barbed wire or a log chain? Did you WALK the yard prior to mowing?

Remove the spark plug/s. Rotate the blade/s by hand. Engine should turn over easy.

slomo

I didn’t start mowing - it was sitting idle.

It’s a riding lawn mower so I tried spinning the wheel that attaches to the engine and spins the blades - sorry drawing a blank on correct terminology. It won’t budge. Does the same as if I spin the engine.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
So the sequence of events was fix the carb, drain the oil, start engine without oil, shut off and then added oil, but now won't make a full engine rotation. If you started the engine without oil even for a few seconds can cause serious engine damage, and if I have the sequence correct the engine has a broken rod in which the crankshaft is jamming on the broken pieces inside the engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take the spark plug out and see if you can rotate the engine by hand
Either by pressing down on the debris scree or with a wrench on the bolt under the pulley

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I would try what bert said, but i think Ilengine may have hit the nail on the head.

Alysha

Forum Newbie
Threads
So the sequence of events was fix the carb, drain the oil, start engine without oil, shut off and then added oil, but now won't make a full engine rotation. If you started the engine without oil even for a few seconds can cause serious engine damage, and if I have the sequence correct the engine has a broken rod in which the crankshaft is jamming on the broken pieces inside the engine.

Unfortunately this sounds like what happened. I tried the remove the spark plug and turn it by hand trick and it hitting something metal and won’t budge. Sounds like it’s hitting a rod like you said. Thanks!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Guess I missed the part where the engine was ran with no oil. Is this the case here?

Wait, is this a new Briggs engine sales gimmick again? Now we don't need oil at all?

slomo

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Guess I missed the part where the engine was ran with no oil. Is this the case here?

slomo
Alright...
. Fixed the issue, cleaned the oil out, and ran it for a few seconds to burn the rest out and turned the mower off. I added fresh oil and when I go to start it, it will click and try and turn but won’t move. I can manually turn it halfway backwards and half way forwards and when I go go as far as it will let me I hear a loud bang - like metal on metal. I have tried manually turning it and it won’t budge. Just clank, clank, clank. Did I seize my engine? I tried the PB blaster trick and it did nothing. Any insight?
;)