GXV620 QAF

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Okay its you guys turn to help me.

I got my first tear down of the Honda GXV620 to replace the connecting rods. The problem is that there is no timing on the crankshaft gear so how in the heck you time this engine. The service info I have found says to time by aligning the punch on the crank gear with the timing mark of the camshaft. Well there is no sign of any kind of a punch mark.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
No kidding, try some magnifier reading type glasses. Maybe you missed the dots? Angle your light source if you are using one.

Is this a Chi'sneeze clone?

slomo

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well if I cant find any marks using a 10X loupe I don't see where a pair reading glasses is going to work.

And it is a real Honda engine and not some clone. Here is the serial number GJAD-2030408 and it is on a Hustler Fastrak MN 926501 ZTR.

What worst I am having a hell of a time getting the deck pin and rod assy from hustlerlawnmowerparts.com. Supposedly they shipped it June 4 and it been sitting the Florida PO every since. I sent an email this afternoon cancelling the order. At least I paid by Paypal so I requesting a refund Monday. I am tired of playing around around with hustlerlawnmowerparts.com.

So this weekend I am going to fabricate the part in house. I already was going to modify the part anyways with an improved ball joint. I done the other one this week so I have a part to copy. I just would have liked to save the time as making the part from scratch will take most of the day.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If their illustration in the manual is correct the mark may be on the opposite side of the crankshaft than the keyway slot. Could there be a chance that the timing gear has been turned over and the mark is facing the inside. From what I can gather it appears it may not be a timing mark like we are used to seeing. It may just look like one tooth is different than the other teeth on the gear. May try aligning the T mark on the flywheel fan with the timing mark on the #1 cylinder and seeing if anything comes to mind as far as aligning with the mark on the cam.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Either the gear is pressed on or ground into crankshaft so it is nearly impossible for a field tech install upside down. And all teeth looks the same.

Oh well looks like it is time to order the GXV620K1 service manual. Just hate to do that for what should be a simple thing but sometimes it is necessary. Oh well another 50 bucks for a one time use manual that may not even have the info needed. Plus once I put the manual away finding it again would be a major challenge. Still haven't found the GX25 manual that I use 5 yrs ago. At with a PDF file I can search for it on the computer but Honda only wants produce paper manuals.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Either the gear is pressed on or ground into crankshaft so it is nearly impossible for a field tech install upside down. And all teeth looks the same.

Oh well looks like it is time to order the GXV620K1 service manual. Just hate to do that for what should be a simple thing but sometimes it is necessary. Oh well another 50 bucks for a one time use manual that may not even have the info needed. Plus once I put the manual away finding it again would be a major challenge. Still haven't found the GX25 manual that I use 5 yrs ago. At with a PDF file I can search for it on the computer but Honda only wants produce paper manuals.
Walt might have one. He was offering to send service manuals out by providing an email to him. Darn nice fella'.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well if I cant find any marks using a 10X loupe I don't see where a pair reading glasses is going to work.
That detail wasn't offered. Sorry to ruffle you up.

slomo

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads

The service manual just shows a generic picture of aligning the punch mark on the camshaft with the mark on the crank gear. From my searches it appears that nobody else can find the timing mark on the crankshaft either. I am wondering if that crankshaft mark gets worn off from running against a mating surface.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Look up the new OEM crank. Look for the dot on it. Same for the cam.

slomo

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That detail wasn't offered. Sorry to ruffle you up.

slomo
No ruffle. I just didn't mention something I do when looking for marks and metal failings. Beside with my vision my glasses don't work up close and the loupe is what I have have learned to use automatically.

I as said it is my first time tear down of the Honda GXV620. Glad I am taking my time as I just found out that there two different service manuals and I need the 61ZJ410E3 manual for the serial number I working on.
The service manual just shows a generic picture of aligning the punch mark on the camshaft with the mark on the crank gear. From my searches it appears that nobody else can find the timing mark on the crankshaft either. I am wondering if that crankshaft mark gets worn off from running against a mating surface.
That is what I am finding too lots complaints of no crankshaft timing marks. If they actually put a mark on it maybe they should have embossed it better.
Look up the new OEM crank. Look for the dot on it. Same for the cam.

slomo
No images to be found of the actual part. That part of the problem. No one has taken the time to do it.

Oh well I going a stab at it base on an educated guess.