GXV 120 smoke on start-up

jsalis57

Threads
I am sure there are plenty of threads about this, but I am looking for clarification.
My Honda 214 SX with the GXV engine smokes for exactly one minute after start-up then quits the smoking and runs fine. Is this more likely rings or valve guides?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Golden rule
Smokes on acceleration = rings
Smokes on deceleration = guides
so put your finger on the throttle lever and move the butterfly by hand.
Too thin oil will also cause the engine to smoke badly on start up as will too high an oil level.

jsalis57

Threads
Golden rule
so put your finger on the throttle lever and move the butterfly by hand.
Too thin oil will also cause the engine to smoke badly on start up as will too high an oil level.

Will check on acceleration and deceleration following the finger on throttle method.
Using Honda proper weight oil, level is good.

I wish I could find someone local to me that has experience with these to do all needed to get another 15 years out of it. I won't be pushing a mower after that.

tadawson

Threads
I just corrected the same issue on my GXV140 . . .had done that for years, but then started a thin constant haze.Tore it down and did a light hone (negligible cylinder wear) and rings, and like new again. There are three factors in play here: 1) Wear 2) Honda used a 1 piece cast iron oil ring in early engines that just didn't work or hold up that well, and has replaced with a 3 piece set. 3) On mine, all 3 rings had rotated to have the gap at the bottom, so oil could get into the cylinder at rest. This was a head scratcher for me, since the longer it sat unused, the more smoke at start . . .

If you do go in, plan rings, upper and lower oil seal, and a few gaskets . . . a couple hours and not much $$$ at all.

Oh, and one more thought (and not sure it applies to the 120 at all). On the GXV140, part way through its life, along with changing the oil ring style, Honda aso added a stem seal to the intake valve. The head didn't change, so this would also apply to older engines (It goes over the stem, and is retained by the valve spring thatbgoes over it). Since the GXV120 may well have an almost identical head, this may work on yours as well. It was $3.85 US as I recall, and certainly can't hurt. These changes by Honda, though, tells me thqt they knew that they had an oil problem in the earlier GXV engines . . .

Last edited:

jsalis57

Threads
I just corrected the same issue on my GXV140 . . .had done that for years, but then started a thin constant haze.Tore it down and did a light hone (negligible cylinder wear) and rings, and like new again. There are three factors in play here: 1) Wear 2) Honda used a 1 piece cast iron oil ring in early engines that just didn't work or hold up that well, and has replaced with a 3 piece set. 3) On mine, all 3 rings had rotated to have the gap at the bottom, so oil could get into the cylinder at rest. This was a head scratcher for me, since the longer it sat unused, the more smoke at start . . .

If you do go in, plan rings, upper snd lower oil seal, and a few gaskets . . . a couple hours and not much $$$ at all.

Sounds like a winter project. Just deal with the smoke for this season. These Honda's are worth the effort for sure.

tadawson

Threads
Having done it once, I could likely do it again in 3 to 4 hours . . . the process really isn't that bad. If the smoke issue is rings, then this *IS* how you deal with the problem, and the few extra parts I mentioned, you have to go through to do the rings anyhow, so almost free time wise . . .

Overall, on my HR215, I did this, rear wheel adjusters/bearings, lube change and inspection in the trans, and clutch thickness check in the blade brake. That pretty much covers all moving parts, and other than some discoloration on the chrome, I think mine should go another 20 to 30, barring something stupid . . .

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

I tore my HR215 Masters engine down. Zero wear on valve guides,,,it was the rings.

Regards

Jeff