GX270- QAG2 GCAJT

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
GX270- QAG2 GCAJT
working on a log splitter, owner provided a new carburetor, it is an OEM Honda/Kei Hin carburetor, and i have double checked for the proper part number.
i have cleaned the in tank fuel filter, and cleaned the tank, replaced the fuel line as well, i have good consistent flow to the carburetor and out of the bottom drain screw. Fuel is my fresh gas.
Problem: Fire it up, first pull. runs for any where from 5 to 15 seconds, starts backfiring out of the exhaust and dies. Valve clearances are in spec and the spark stays consistent when running, doesn't cut out or anything. The only thing i haven't tried is a new spark plug. which i am about too.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Have you checked the timing ?
Not yet, however i just put a new autolite 64 plug in it.... and it ran great, it ran more evenly and didn't die when i cycled the splitter ram in and out.. and before it would die out with the ram just moving and
I've got some logs around here and i;m going to put it through its paces before i call it fixed

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Well, i need a shower now. I'm hot and sweaty from splitting logs.. been splitting for just over an hour. Engine did great.
I pulled the plug out after running and it has good color on the electrode end..... Gonna put some more time on it here shortly.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have witnessed more than one GX 270-390 series do exactly what you were having issues with. Will start and run shortly or start and die. Replace the plug and it will run forever.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I have witnessed more than one GX 270-390 series do exactly what you were having issues with. Will start and run shortly or start and die. Replace the plug and it will run forever.
Had a similar issue on a GX390 that was on my grandads generator awhile back... don't know i didn't think of that first.... oh well, Learning from it.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Had a similar issue on a GX390 that was on my grandads generator awhile back... don't know i didn't think of that first.... oh well, Learning from it.
One of my rules is never trust a spark plug. Have had weird things on Honda engines with spark plugs. Not only their general engines but also their ATV and SxS engines. General purpose engines will start and die or run for up to 5 minutes and then die. The ATV plugs will fire from the center electrode to the side of the plug instead of jumping the gap.