GT50 Issues

motomike

Threads
I used the Cub today for first time after a few weeks. Had the battery out during the arctic blast we had just before Christmas. Charged it and tested it, it showed good with 215cca against 230cca spec. When starting the tractor, frequently there is a delay when first turning the key, then the motor will turn over and fire. Is this the starter about to go out? I know my connections are clean and tight.

Another concern is the tractor does not want to backup especially when cold. And it seems to be worse when it hasn't been used in a long time. I blow off the tractor every time I use it so don't think its an issue with grass clippings blocking a linkage.

Any advice? The machine is still under the 3 yr factory warranty for about another month.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A delay before the starter engages is generally a dirty connection, usually at the solenoid.

motomike

Threads
Thanks for the reply, where is the solenoid located on this model?

fixit1ddh

Threads
Mine does that when it's getting close to it's 200 hour valve adjustment.

motomike

Threads
Haha, of course! When/if it stops raining here, I'll check it out.

motomike

Threads
I'm changing out the starter, what is the torque spec for its mounting bolts?

Edit: I found the service manual online for the 7000 series Kohler, its 211 in. lbs. for starter mounting "screws" if anyone else wants to know.

Last edited:

motomike

Threads
Brought the Cub over to my house today to examine its problem and clean it good with compressed air.

1) Battery tested 232cca, 12.69v, full charge.

2) Followed the cable from the starter into the wire loom headed towards the back of the mower(looking for the solenoid). Pulled the mower deck off the bottom. Found the solenoid at the back above the transaxle next to the battery. Was able to access the solenoid connections after pulling the battery and the hanging straps. 2 heavy gauge wires secured with 7/16 nuts and 2 spade attached terminals under these. Found a spot or two corrosion on the large terminals and the spade terminals were dusty. Cleaned everything up and reattached.

3) Cleaned the mower deck good, greased the steering linkage and the front wheels. The engine under the cover wasn't too dusty/dirty at all at 129 hrs on the machine.

4) The mower started ok but the starter still sounded bad and it had a slight hesitation before cranking after turning the key. Had the new starter anyway so decided to change it. 5 minute job. 2 mounting bolts under the top cover and the power wire.

Mower now starts better than ever. I think this starter had issues from day 1. The service dealer said there was no problem when I brought it to them a couple yrs ago when it was under warranty. The new starter is a redesigned unit with 9 instead of 10 teeth.

Thanks for the help everyone!

motomike

Threads
Photos of the solenoid, the rear of machine showing holes for the solenoid clip and mounting screw, and a view down the battery hole showing general area of the solenoid. The red wire with the ring terminal hooks to the solenoid.

PXL_20230321_185907951.jpgPXL_20230321_185946138.jpgPXL_20230321_185956157.jpg