GT48xls - starting issues.

Bjw903

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Gt48xls with a little over 400 hours. All of a sudden it won’t start. Turns over fine, won’t run. Good oil, fresh gas, clean air filter, cleaned carb, new fuel filter and new spark plugs. I have no spark. Coils are testing good on multimeter. I’m at a loss. I’m no mechanic. I learn from friends and you tube. Any help is appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can not test a magneto coil with a multimeter despite what 50,000 brain dead egoistic morons show you on You tube & face book
The coil has a timing chip inside which basically replaces the points and in some cases the auto advance unit as well
Because to this Hall Effect Trigger you can not test the coils with a multimeter , you need a signal generator to sent a rising rate voltage to the chip & see when ( or if ) it trips .
Then while it is tripped , and that is measured in nano seconds you can measure the primary resistance
Then you need an ossiloscope to check the flux reaction in the coil windings
We are talking about thousands of dollars worth of equipment that is of no real use because the coil is not repairable so it either works or it don't work & you replace it .
The coil kill wire is a ground wire so you simply remove the ground wire and test for spark
No spark = new coil ( now called an armature , which as a static item it is not )

You can test the secondary windings by measuring from the spark plug cap to the coil

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Like Bert said
The coil kill wire is a ground wire so you simply remove the ground wire and test for spark
No spark = new coil ( now called an armature , which as a static item it is not )

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Besides the kill terminal is connected directly to winding bypassing the electronic trigger so all you are testing is the primary winding and not the trigger circuit.