GT262 - Won't start- New PTO & Switch

Fosterhome

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an older used GT262 that I acquired about two years ago. I have performed regular maintenance on the mower but it has had one issue after another lately. I about ready to buy a new one but I would like to get this up and running instead.

Issue:
After almost finishing the lawn last night the mower shut off rather abruptly. I did not hit anything and was on only a minor incline. I checked the gas and oil and both were good. I replaced the fuel filter because it had been a little while. The mower turns on but when you turn the key it just makes a very loud whining/ buzzing pulsing noise and isn't really trying to crank. I checked to ensure I was in neutral and such but I have had no luck.

Any recommendations for what I should be checking?

I just replaced the PTO and switch about 4 hours ago.

At what point is it time to walk away and stop dumping money in the mower?

Thank you very much for your time and input!!

Nick

Fosterhome

Forum Newbie
Threads
Follow-up: I replaced the spark plug (gapped correctly) and the old spark plug was wet (getting fuel) when I removed it.

I am going to attempt to check compression and spark this evening. Any suggestions for specific diagnostic checks I might focus on would be very much appreciated! The mower does try to start but it won't fire up it just sits there with the flywheel spinning making an effort but not actually firing up.

Thanks again for the help!

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is one time when I would check the valve clearances, particularly exhaust. If you post your engine numbers I will find you a service manual.

Fosterhome

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will try and get the engine number after dinner tonight, I just came in two hours after telling the wife "five more minutes"....

The spark was strong but I think I may have found my issue. I should preface this by saying that I have never tested the compression with a gauge before tonight...but the gauge did not budge. At all. It was a Harbor Freight special but when I removed the gauge and put my finger over the hole there was not much force there at all...thoughts?

Fosterhome

Forum Newbie
Threads
20140723_205429.jpg

Engine ID above. Thanks again for your time and help!

Fosterhome

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you very much!! This will be invaluable! I will get back on once I have completed the valve check/adjustment.:biggrin:

Fosterhome

Forum Newbie
Threads
Parts Find 1.jpg20140724_194632.jpg

So...you were absolutely correct. I have a valve issue...

In the humble opinion of the the more experienced, is it worth replacing the parts on a mower of this age (mid-late 90's)? The inside of the cylinder looks nice and is not all scored up, new pto and switch, but other than that it is a stock GT262. Debating between the repairs and $1699 for a Husqvarna 24-HP V-Twin Hydrostatic 48-in Riding Lawn Mower with KOHLER Engine. I would definitely fix it if the money is going to get me through at least one season of lawn mowing on the 2 acres out front but one just never knows so I am torn.

Thanks again for the help and the manual (Rivets)! It was fantastic!

Attachments

• Valve Overview.jpg
    Valve Overview.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 4

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Looking at the pics, I feel that if everything else is good, I would have the head rebuilt. Remember I can't see everything you have, but I think the keeper just broke. My recommendation would be, take the head to a good repair shop and ask for an estimate on rebuilding cost. Then you can make a better decision on which route to take. Kaws make a very good engine and normally it is worth the cost to repair. Remember to read my signature, as some members will tell you I don't know what I am talking about and you should not listen to me.