GT2544 mower deck

QfromCT

Forum Newbie
Threads
Has anyone had problems with the deck belt rubbing on the right side mount post? This is a 2006 GT2544 with 44" mower deck. I have the right belt, right pulleys, replaced the idler torsion spring which was stretched, checked the extension spring (between the tensioning lever and idler assy) and it is the right size. Still, it pulls the idler too far and makes the belt come in contact with the mount post. Not sure where it is going wrong, I am ready to modify but shouldn't have to. Maybe there is a simple solution?

Merlin2014

Forum Newbie
Threads
GT, I have a 2518 with a 48 inch deck that the belt did rub against the lift hanger next to the drive pulley. I had seen a few posts on different boards concerning this issue and one of the most frequent responses was that it was due to the use of cheap belts. The belts on mine are from V-belt Supply.com and I have been using them for several years now and have never had an issue with a single belt I got from them. So, I added a small idler pulley between that blade spindle pulley and the main drive pulley to keep the belt away from the hanger. I do not have a lot of time on the deck since my modification but so far it has worked as I had hoped. I would post a picture but have not, to this point anyway, researched the procedure for posting pictures on this forum. Anyway, I hope this helps.

QfromCT

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you! As it turns out, with the deck off the machine, I did not consider that the PTO belt would pull the idler forward, which it did, so it pulled the belt away from the interferance point and it runs great! I had had replaced the torsion spring which really did need replacing, but other than that I was fine.

Merlin2014

Forum Newbie
Threads
CT, I’m glad you got it worked out. I admittedly did not replace my tensioning spring for the blade belt and probably should have but with mine to get the drive pulley tight the pulley needed to be back far enough that there was interference between the blade belt and that hanger. Then again perhaps a new tensioning spring would have fixed mine. Maybe I’m over estimating the amount to tension needed on that drive belt. Anyway, good luck with your 2544 mower!

QfromCT

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks again for responding (and as you can tell I have been away for a while). The new spring did the trick, has been running fine since. I have other questions that I am posting now.