GT225 w/ Kohler CV15S engine - starts ok; runs & mows great, doesn't sputter or die; but once turned off...won't restart. FIXED !=))

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / GT225 w/ Kohler CV15S engine - starts ok; runs & mows great, doesn't sputter or die; but once turned off...won't restart. FIXED !=))
" All the plastic and rubber items need to be out of the main body."

Good advice to follow in all facets of life...

winmod21

Threads
  • / GT225 w/ Kohler CV15S engine - starts ok; runs & mows great, doesn't sputter or die; but once turned off...won't restart. FIXED !=))
Thanks again everyone for your suggestions & advice !;-) I really appreciate the help & advise. I'll try to work on them over the weekend and report back next week.

winmod21

Threads
" All the plastic and rubber items need to be out of the main body."
Good advice to follow in all facets of life...
Thanks Fish !;-) I'll try to remember that !;-)

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I corrected my false info about fuel flow.

On the LEFT side or carb side of the engine. Hook a new piece of fuel line to the hard line that goes to the carb. Then run that hose into a big quart size glass jar or larger. Let it flow for a good bit. Can pour it back into the tank if clean. This is after your filter.

Look for a pulsating fuel flow from the fuel pump when cranking the engine over. Should resemble a heart beat like pulse.

winmod21

Threads
I corrected my false info about fuel flow.

On the LEFT side or carb side of the engine. Hook a new piece of fuel line to the hard line that goes to the carb. Then run that hose into a big quart size glass jar or larger. Let it flow for a good bit. Can pour it back into the tank if clean. This is after your filter.

Look for a pulsating fuel flow from the fuel pump when cranking the engine over. Should resemble a heart beat like pulse.
Thanks very much, slomo !;-) That's exactly what I figured, after reading your post(s). Really appreciate your kind help & advise !

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Another satisfied customer.

winmod21

Threads
When engine wouldn't start after running a good while check for spark. I have seen a few coils that gets heat soaked after shut down and would not work.
That was it! The magneto ignition module! Even though the existing one looked fine & w/good .010 gap, and good kill wire & spark wire.... as soon as I replaced it with a new magneto ignition module, (ehem, in a rather Chevy Chase-esque 'Sparky' sort of way :~\ ), the GT225 fires right up every time after being turned-off after any period of mowing! Starts instantly every time & runs super great !=))
So again, thanks very very much, StarTech, for sharing your experiences & advice !! 👍 And thanks as well to all who posted suggestions & advice.

I'm thinking I should probably leave the carb and good enough alone for now, and save the carb & tank cleaning for wintertime.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm thinking I should probably leave the carb and good enough alone for now, and save the carb & tank cleaning for wintertime.
Glad to hear she's running.

Agree shes running, leave her alone till winter. Good winter project anyway. Yard sale crock pot and a dishwasher soap pod at 200 degrees. (y)

winmod21

Threads
Glad to hear she's running.
Agree shes running, leave her alone till winter. Good winter project anyway. Yard sale crock pot and a dishwasher soap pod at 200 degrees. (y)
Thanks for that yard sale/used crock pot idea! I may just try that this winter !;-) We considering returning the ultrasonic cleaner, even though it did make the Mrs's jewelry really sparkle, we'd probably rarely use it.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for that yard sale/used crock pot idea! I may just try that this winter !;-) We considering returning the ultrasonic cleaner, even though it did make the Mrs's jewelry really sparkle, we'd probably rarely use it.
For carb cleaning, the crockpot should be better. Those cheap ultras are hit and miss. Have to put it back in for 1-4 more cleanings. Doesn't seem like they really work. ??? Yup rarely use an ultra wonder cleaner. Also a yard sale crock pot would be waaaaay cheaper.

Last edited: