GT 3200 Mower - Oil Usage Issue?

magnum308

Threads
HI,

Here in Queensland, Australia with the warmer weather did the first mow yesterday of our 2.5 ac "house yard" with my Cub Cadet GT 3200 54" mower. First mow since June (as just been through winter). Engine is a Kohler 25 HP Command Twin and the mower has done 686 hours on the meter. Checked the oil this morning and it was quite down (I check it, as is my usual practice, before mowing yesterday and the oil was full). So added today around 650 mls (crank case capacity according to the manual is 1.9 qts or 1.8 Litres).

Is this something I should be concerned about? Wiped the inside of the exhaust and it looks like the pics below
IMG_6405a.jpgIMG_6406a.jpg

Last edited:

magnum308

Threads
Oh, I omitted to mention in the thread above I have been using SAE30 Penrite oil.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
check it again next time you mow.
If you were burning that much oil you would look like the Ar dep spraying for Dengi fever
Get under the mower and check the PTO shaft and the to of the drive pulley.
To loose that much oil you really would have needed to have blow an oil seal or have a hole in the block

magnum308

Threads
Thanks Bert for the input. I did a quick check yesterday (Sunday)...Oil is still full from when I "topped" it up on Saturday. No oil underneath the mower in the shed, checked around the PTO to the deck where it comes through the firewall quite dry (i.e. no oil on the shaft). Checked the oil filter - it is tight and no evidence of dropping oil.

I have not yet removed the shield guards to check if there is evidence of oil leaking from around the PTO pulleys on the front o the engine. Nor have I removed the air cleaner to check the sensor switch on the top of the engine. i will do these next and also the oil cooler connections too (Kohler manual says it my have these).

if nothing shows up, my feel is to use the mower again for about 30 minutes, then stop it, let it cool a bit and check the oil level on the dipstick then.

magnum308

Threads
Just used it again today (first time since this thread) oil was full on the dipstick when I started and after around 30 mins stopped it to check the oil. Now almost empty on the dipstick. See pic here. No sign of oil leak from the mower and no sign of smoking engine (Kohler 25HP twin). Any hints.?

While I am at it the transmission oil needs a top up. Any one know what grade that it (Cub Cadet says "Cub Cadet Drive System Fluid Plus). Local Cub dealer says it's 15W40. .

Attachments

• IMG_6725a.jpg
    IMG_6725a.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
<deleted>

Last edited by a moderator: