Greenworks 80v string trimmer problem

Starjumper7

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I'm new to the forum here. I recently bought a Greenworks 80v attachment capable string trimmer, and am having a problem with it.

I think it may be due to the Calihutt battery I got for it. First of all, the thing says attachment capable, so I assumed that meant you could use a steel blade with it, but then right on the tool it has a symbol for no blades, great!

I'll describe the problem that is coming up, and maybe some of you have some experience with this. When I ran it with the string the first time it did fine and didn't shut off, except for right at the beginning when I tried starting it, it shut off about six times. In the instructions it says that if the tools shuts off that the battery is too hot, but the battery wasn't hot the first time I tried it.

I put a steel blade on it anyway, and found that after a couple of minutes the tool started shutting off, even after restarting. OK, so tha battery was too hot. It felt a little warm.

The next day I tried it with the string, and when the battery got down to two lights, half charged, it started shutting off even when the string was short. i took the battery out and it was not warm.

So I am hoping that the cause of this problem is the cheap Calihutt battery and if I get a real Greenworks battery that it will not shut off like that.

Feedback please.

MowerMike

Threads
It is probably the cheap aftermarket battery that is the culprit here. Often times, the voltage drops too much under load even when the battery is only half discharged, causing the tool to shut off. I'd recommend sticking with the genuine OEM battery, even though it will be more expensive. You know the old expression, "you get what you pay for."

Last edited:

Starjumper7

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is probably the cheap aftermarket battery that is the culprit here. Often times, the voltage drops too much under load even when the battery is only half discharged, causing the tool to shut off. I'd recommend sticking with the genuine OEM battery, even though it will be more expensive. You know the old expression, "you get what you for."

That's what I thuoght. I ordered the cheaper battery because it had more amp hours, and because I had to pay a lot to import that stuff to Ecuador. If I had bought the tool with battery and charger customs would charge for the entire thing, so I ordered the battery and charger separately. As it is, the total cost of equipment, importing, and customs for all of it was over $700. So it's sad it doesn't work. I'm going to Amazon and putting a real bad review for the Calihutt battery.

MowerMike

Threads
I ordered the cheaper battery because it had more amp hours.....
Often times those battery Ah ratings are grossly exaggerated, and should be taken with a grain of salt. Many times the cells that are used are substandard quality, or rejects from the manufacturing of name brand batteries.

Starjumper7

Forum Newbie
Threads
I should have checked the reviews before getting that battery, but I was already going to be spending so much... Also, a few years ago I got an aftermarket battery for my drill, and it has worked fine. Leave it to the Chinese though. If you think the Chinese send low quality stuff to the US, you should see what they send to South America. They send their worst quality goods here, I was shocked about that in the beginning, because so much here comes from China.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
I have an aftermarket battery for my Ryobi 1+ stuff that will prematurely shut-off. I can 'reset' it with a push of the charge level LED button. I try not to use in in my string trimmer as that is where I have the biggest issue with it.

Starjumper7

Forum Newbie
Threads
I only have the string trimmer, and that's what I got the battery for. It' was useless with a steel blade so I started using just the string and it works ok if the string is short enough, but it is deteriorating rapidly. If it sits for a couple of days after charging then it starts shutting off right away so I have to charge it just before using it. The run times are also decreasing rapidly, and I've only used it like eight to ten times, and those times were short, believe me. It used to start shutting off when it got down to two lights, now it's shutting off when it gets down to three lights. I spent a lot of my limited income budget to get this thing here, but I'm going to have to order a real battery and have that couriered down here. Hopefully the real battery will also power a steel blade, because that's what I got it for. I thought "attachment capable" meant you could attach a steel blade to it , but noooo, that's not what it means. You don't find that out till after you open the weed whacker box. if it has trouble with the steel blade I'll have a standard blade trimmed so it make is lighter where it counts, on the outer edges.

jblair1017

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Greenworks Pro 80v string trimmer with a Greenworks battery and at full charge the trimmer will run for 10-15 seconds and then shut off. I wait a few seconds and it will start back up and cut off again. It is driving me crazy. Any idea what is causing this?

MowerMike

Threads
I have a Greenworks Pro 80v string trimmer with a Greenworks battery and at full charge the trimmer will run for 10-15 seconds and then shut off. I wait a few seconds and it will start back up and cut off again. It is driving me crazy. Any idea what is causing this?
It could be a weak battery. As soon as the trimmer shuts off, push the button on the battery to see if still shows that all the LEDs are lit. If it doesn't, then that's the problem. How old is the battery and how many times has it been charged ?

jblair1017

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's less than a year old, bought the trimmer, battery and charger together. The battery has three green indicator lights and sometimes even with all three lit the trimmer will shut off after a few seconds. If I then put the battery back on charge and wait until the charger stops, put the battery back in the trimmer, the trimmer will continue to run. I think I just have to make sure I run the charger just before I'm ready to use the trimmer.