Greenworks 80v Self-Propel Problems

SonOfGloin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

After years enjoying gas-powered equipment ranging from a vintage wheel horse rider to a simple Lawn Boy, I decided to dip my toes in the battery-powered world and bought a self-propelled 80v Greenworks 21" mower. It has been very impressive, up until today. Out of the blue, the self-propel boost started to lose a bit of oomph until it declined to an few intermittent bursts. Now it barely works at all. Sometimes when engaging it, nothing happens. Other times I'll get a weak set of bursts of power for a few seconds and it stops. I have to say, this is quite disappointing, as the mower has only been used about a dozen times since the Spring. I have no warranty to fall back on, because this was an off-season craigslist pickup (yeah, I know. Now I'm paying for it..).

I am completely new to this kind of technology. My understanding is that units like this use a second motor to directly drive the rear wheel. Can anyone help me troubleshoot this? I'm very handy, but I have no experience with this type of equipment. Am I looking at a cooked motor? Is there a clutch or gear that I should be checking? I checked all wiring to/from the self-propel logic board and all connections seem to be solid.

Thanks in advance!

Charlie8d

Threads
I also suggest contacting Greenworks at then link above. I would also ask for a copy of the owner's manual to download, if you don't have one. . Damage can be done to the self propelled feature, if not operated correctly. Just before you stop cutting, let off the SP lever a few feet before stopping. If you don't , it is very hard to pull backwards & that can cause damage. Also, if you are pulling it backwards & apply the SP lever, it can cause damage,

SonOfGloin

Forum Newbie
Threads
I also suggest contacting Greenworks at then link above. I would also ask for a copy of the owner's manual to download, if you don't have one. . Damage can be done to the self propelled feature, if not operated correctly. Just before you stop cutting, let off the SP lever a few feet before stopping. If you don't , it is very hard to pull backwards & that can cause damage. Also, if you are pulling it backwards & apply the SP lever, it can cause damage,

Thank you - this is very helpful information. When I first started using it, I wasn't used to how long it takes for the SP to disengage, so I (and my wife) definitely pulled back on it too early, more than a few times.

What part(s) specifically would likely fail if this sort of operator error persisted?

Charlie8d

Threads
Again, Greenworks would be the place to contact for that info.

Poaceae

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

After years enjoying gas-powered equipment ranging from a vintage wheel horse rider to a simple Lawn Boy, I decided to dip my toes in the battery-powered world and bought a self-propelled 80v Greenworks 21" mower. It has been very impressive, up until today. Out of the blue, the self-propel boost started to lose a bit of oomph until it declined to an few intermittent bursts. Now it barely works at all. Sometimes when engaging it, nothing happens. Other times I'll get a weak set of bursts of power for a few seconds and it stops. I have to say, this is quite disappointing, as the mower has only been used about a dozen times since the Spring. I have no warranty to fall back on, because this was an off-season craigslist pickup (yeah, I know. Now I'm paying for it..).

I am completely new to this kind of technology. My understanding is that units like this use a second motor to directly drive the rear wheel. Can anyone help me troubleshoot this? I'm very handy, but I have no experience with this type of equipment. Am I looking at a cooked motor? Is there a clutch or gear that I should be checking? I checked all wiring to/from the self-propel logic board and all connections seem to be solid.

Thanks in advance!
This thread is from last year, but just in case it is still helpful. I had the same problem the second time I used my Greenworks mower! Because they did not have an authorized repair shop near me, they replaced the mower at no cost to me. So, I didn't try to take it apart to troubleshoot, but in my case the self-propel motor was not cooked. You can test this by pulling the engage self-propel bail with the battery installed, but the main motor that turns the blade turned off. When working properly, this allows you to move the mower using the self-propel, without starting the blade motor. In my case, the motor came on, and changed speed when I adjusted the lever on the left handle, but the mower moved about an inch and stopped. Because this is apparently a known issue (based on our sample size of two), I expect that Greenworks would be willing at least to offer advice even though you technically bought the mower used.