Greenworks 80 volt Pro Charging issues

Proftomda

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm grasping for straws here as the Greenworks company is of no help at this point. My son bought into the Greenworks 80 volt pro equipment. He purchased a backpack blower, chainsaw and a single 80 volt battery and charger. About 13 months into ownership the battery stopped recharging. As soon as he mounted into the charger he would get a flashing green light for a couple seconds and then a flashing red light. Manual tells you to unplug the charger for 1 minute and try again but no change and no charge. He contacted Greenworks and they agreed to send him a new battery and charger as goodwill measure. The new battery and charger are behaving the same way. Flashing red light and not charging. Both batteries show a blinking single green bar so I believe they are depleted. I have tried mixing and matching the batteries and chargers but nothing works. Greenworks refuses any further assistance and stated that their goodwill equipment that they sent carries no warranty.

So any work arounds? What are the odds that both batteries and both battery chargers are bad? Doesn't sound so green to me....Anybody out there with a similar story?

Attachments

• battery.jpg
    battery.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 0

MowerMike

Threads
The warranty on the Greenworks 80v battery and charger is 4 years, so the "goodwill measure" is total bs. Report those bastards to the BBB.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Do the problems coincide with any change in the ac supply outlet? Have you tried a different outlet? Just wondering if a hot/neutral reversal at the outlet would cause anything like this.

There may be a guy on ebay that works on that stuff.

MowerMike

Threads
Just wondering if a hot/neutral reversal at the outlet would cause anything like this.

No, polarity reversal at an AC power outlet will not affect the operation of a connected appliance, it will just pose a shock or fire hazard.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
No, polarity reversal at an AC power outlet will not affect the operation of a connected appliance, it will just pose a shock or fire hazard.

yeah, just a long-shot. Dunno how sophisticated chargers may be nowadays.

Liberty Man

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm grasping for straws here as the Greenworks company is of no help at this point. My son bought into the Greenworks 80 volt pro equipment. He purchased a backpack blower, chainsaw and a single 80 volt battery and charger. About 13 months into ownership the battery stopped recharging. As soon as he mounted into the charger he would get a flashing green light for a couple seconds and then a flashing red light. Manual tells you to unplug the charger for 1 minute and try again but no change and no charge. He contacted Greenworks and they agreed to send him a new battery and charger as goodwill measure. The new battery and charger are behaving the same way. Flashing red light and not charging. Both batteries show a blinking single green bar so I believe they are depleted. I have tried mixing and matching the batteries and chargers but nothing works. Greenworks refuses any further assistance and stated that their goodwill equipment that they sent carries no warranty.

So any work arounds? What are the odds that both batteries and both battery chargers are bad? Doesn't sound so green to me....Anybody out there with a similar story?
I know that this question about Greenworks mowers is old so perhaps this might be a good/bad comment for some other person looking into buying Greenworks products. I recently purchased both a new 80V Pro self propelled mower and a 3000 PSI pressure washer. ( corded) I bought them from a liquidator who claimed that they were an "open box" which is code word for cosmetic damage. I wouldn't have minded a few dents or scratches but much to my dismay both products were useless. The mowers self propel did not function at all and pressure washer would not even turn on after plugging it in. The person selling it to me was not honest and refused to refund my money pointing to his invoice that states no returns. Fair enough, my bad for not checking both open boxes out before buying. I was getting a good deal so I figured that I would just take the equipment to a local Greenworks dealer. Long story short the dealers told me that they had never repaired a product because the company would just send out a new replacement. Since my mower and pressure washer were not bought from an authorized retailer, there was no warranty. Again fair enough but the rub came when I was told by both dealers that Greenworks carries no parts because they are made in China and that it impossible to get replacement parts for their equipment. So now I am stuck with two shiny new pieces of equipment which I might as well throw into the dumpster! Anybody out there who reads this and can offer a suggestion, it would be greatly appreciated!

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I know that this question about Greenworks mowers is old so perhaps this might be a good/bad comment for some other person looking into buying Greenworks products. I recently purchased both a new 80V Pro self propelled mower and a 3000 PSI pressure washer. ( corded) I bought them from a liquidator who claimed that they were an "open box" which is code word for cosmetic damage. I wouldn't have minded a few dents or scratches but much to my dismay both products were useless. The mowers self propel did not function at all and pressure washer would not even turn on after plugging it in. The person selling it to me was not honest and refused to refund my money pointing to his invoice that states no returns. Fair enough, my bad for not checking both open boxes out before buying. I was getting a good deal so I figured that I would just take the equipment to a local Greenworks dealer. Long story short the dealers told me that they had never repaired a product because the company would just send out a new replacement. Since my mower and pressure washer were not bought from an authorized retailer, there was no warranty. Again fair enough but the rub came when I was told by both dealers that Greenworks carries no parts because they are made in China and that it impossible to get replacement parts for their equipment. So now I am stuck with two shiny new pieces of equipment which I might as well throw into the dumpster! Anybody out there who reads this and can offer a suggestion, it would be greatly appreciated!
Greenworks has a huge booth at the Equipment Expo in Louisville, KY when I go. I am NOT a battery operated equipment supporter. I am going to do some reading and research on this topic to learn more.
As far as warranty goes, that is always about manufacture’s defects (no matter what brand). If the dealers do not service the Greenworks product, how does it get fixed?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I see that companies are getting worst and worst about not providing repair parts for their junk equipment. Personally our government should be forcing these companies to support their equipment by providing repair info and parts; not just providing us with lip service.

And Tiger If the dealers do not service the Greenworks product, how does it get fixed?
It don't get fixed if I read that correctly.

Our government wants us to go battery but they leaving us on the hook for all the junk we buy trying to do so. Just filling up our landfills with useless junk. Otherwords companies are producing equipment but taking no responsibility afterwards. It is to screw you for buying our junk, please just buy another one of our pieces of junk.

Durability has gone away now if it works out the box fine or it is a lost to the customer. Just what when you get a government that removes the requirements of companies to support their products. Just my opinion.

Liberty Man

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greenworks has a huge booth at the Equipment Expo in Louisville, KY when I go. I am NOT a battery operated equipment supporter. I am going to do some reading and research on this topic to learn more.
As far as warranty goes, that is always about manufacture’s defects (no matter what brand). If the dealers do not service the Greenworks product, how does it get fixed?
I was told by both Greenworks dealers that as long as the machine is under warranty Greenworks just sends out a replacement machine. Which is just plain nuts to me. That might be why their machines are so expensive? Both dealers here did not seem to have a good opinion of Greenworks because of their poor customer service. It seems like the EV market is taking a hit across the board from cars to Lawn Mowers because of the reliability issues. Perhaps battery operated equipment just isn't ever going to be as reliable as good old gasoline engines.