Great carburetor testing video - must see

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Okay time to get me a cobbled up carb tester now. Great video by the Lawnmower Lady.

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cute video
Shame she did not use the vacuum on the brake tester as well
One problem with the fuel tank test is if the carb has a return line then the tank should hold around 7 psi before it vents some pressure off
What she showed only applies to systems with a single fuel line from the tank because those carbs are not pressurised
She should have also tested the tank in vacuum to ensure that air can get into the tank because if air can not get in then fuel can not get out .
The difference in price between the brake bleeder / tester she used and the full pressure / vacuum gauge is about $ 30.
This is the cheapest gauge you can get
Rotary pressure tester
Then go to a boat shop & buy an inline pressure pump bulb because it has hose fittings at both ends
Thus one way it is a pressure tester , put the hose on the other end & it becomes a vacuum tester .
Go to a golf shop ( or driving range ) and buy a packet of golf T's to use as hose stops, or have look in the gutter you will usually find dozens of them there .

One cheaper still is to just use the in line fuel pump bulb , a T joint and a cheap pressure/vacuum gauge from HF , probably cost about $ 10

Interesting video just the same , probably made her $ 500 in royalties off face book .

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
There's a wife for ya SloMo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Got one is these on the way from ebay. Kit looks pretty good. 1.png

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Got one carb right now that needs some testing.... She leaks out of the bowl on startup. Seems to seal or flood internally after a minute. Can't wait to get the new toy. :rolleyes:

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Got one carb right now that needs some testing.... She leaks out of the bowl on startup. Seems to seal or flood internally after a minute. Can't wait to get the new toy. :rolleyes:

slomo
Get a 2 way tester like the Mighty Max and get the all metal one
Otherwise you are going to end up with a drawer full of tools that only do 1/2 the job and will spend more time switching between tools that fixing the machine.
Joe Pace has a short series on You Tube that takes you through the BEST LOGICAL sequence of testing machines fitted with cube carbs.
There is an order that really needs to be followed
You start with the tank and test in both pressure & vacuum
The tank that the Lawn Girl showed is faulty and the machine will start fine then die after a few minutes or when turned on its side .
After finding Joe Pace's videos I virtually stopped pulling carbs apart because substantially fewer were actually faulty, but I have replaced a lot of bad fuel caps and fuel lines that are leaking where they pass through the tank.
So while I have lost out financially by not being able to charge the customers $ 14 for a $ 1 gasket & diaphragm kit I have won with the fixed $ 45 service fee and now turn them around in a few minutes rather than a few hours or even days because I ripped into the carb, then it still has problems , so ripped it down again, boiled it n the ultrasound for an hours, dried & rebuilt it for the 4th time reassembled the tool only to find it still did not work properly .
A big problem with chain sws because a lot of them take a very long time to get the carbs out in the first place .