Grease Nipple

Ray Ho

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a LX178 and one of the grease nipples that lubricate the bearings on the cutting deck is missing. Are these nipples a press fit as opposed to threaded and it so does anyone know the size please?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
in the actual housing they will be 1/4" SAE threaded
In the spindle itself they are a press fit & not replaceable
Usually when they fall out the threads are damaged beyond use so you need to tap out to the next size up
Spindles can be tapped as well but you need locktite them into position.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well I going have to disagree that it threads in. According the image PN JD7849 it is a press in (Driven in) version.
1627048595257.png

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
my bad, my eyes failed me.. thought they were threads cut on that zerk.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
my bad, my eyes failed me.. thought they were threads cut on that zerk.
Just think I currently wear -300 / -350 lenes myself. I was up to a -600 at one time. I still cant them to make a pair of reading glasses that will work. I have to wear two pair to see up close or just go without which I then tend to lose my glasses and have find the back up pair just so I find the good ones.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I feel for you. As a kid i had 20/400 vision with bad astigmatism. I have heard every coke bottle glasses joke there is. In the mid 80's got radial keratomy surgery (pre lasik) and got to the point i could see well enough to 20/40 with glasses. Then cataracts about 10 years ago. Eagle eye was never my nickname.

Gord Baker

Threads
If it is the spindles you are greasing from the side, the grease does nothing but fill a void. If the grease nipple is on top, it likely unscrews when it hits the frame when deck is raised.

enigma-2

Threads
They're not really grease nipples. They're just vents. If you look carefully, you'll see that the check valve is missing. There's only a hole going all the way through.

When you think about it, it makes sense. The bearings are sealed and can't be greased.

I talked to an engineer who worked for a major manufacturer years ago about why they do this. He told me that when they went to sealed bearings, they eliminated the grease fittings. The customers and dealers had a hissy about how to grease the deck bearings. They explained that it was no longer necessary but fell on deaf ears. So they installed these vents to allow any water that go into the sleeve to vent out. (At least that was the theory). They don't recommend pumping grease into this fitting as it will eventually dry out and attract water.

As for your condition, you need to close the opening to prevent water or dirt from entering.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Hmmm, Looks there are steel ball in there to me.
1627153651780.png