Gravely ZTR 991083 fuel tank

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just replaced this carburetor and fuel filter a couple of months ago. Was mowing when the Kawasaki started acting up. So I removed the fuel solenoid and let the fuel drain into a clean container. There was a lot of rusty colored specs. So I removed the float bowl and is was an 1/16" thick with that same stuff. Just like before. The bowl was rusted, the main jet was getting clogging. The needle was sticky.

I got the tanks gas drained out then rinsed it with water a few times. I noticed some small plastic pieces come out. After emptying all the water out, I could hear more plastic pieces rolling around. So I fished them out.

No diagram I've found shows this one particular piece that shaped like the valve out of a head. About 3" long, plastic. The head is a little bigger than a quarter and has a black rubber O ring on it. . There are no holes in it, what so ever. None going up through the center. I can't imagine this being connected to the fuel line. The fuel line assembly (04320900) has nothing that looks like this.

Since the fill hole has a splash guard glued to the inside, I can't really see inside and where this may have come from.

The only thing left would be something to do with the vent. In which there are no pictures that I can find on diagrams. But the valve looking piece doesn't fit the actual vent that I took out. I'll look tomorrow (where I rinsed out the tank), but I didn't see anything that would join the vent and the valve.
And nothing explains why there's a robber o-ring about the big end of the valve.
20220602_223108.jpg20220602_223116.jpg

On a side note, allowing all that trash that got passed the Stens fuel filter, makes me question their filters.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don’t see anything in the parts list either. I’m wondering if it is part of the pre-assembly. It looks to be about the same size as the fuel gauge. Like it was to be removed before the fuel gauge was installed. It doesn’t look anything like the fuel tank pickup or vapor recovery system.
Use a Kohler filter.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Might not even be part of the tank but a foreign object introduced during the filling the tank. I have fished out several fill nozzle parts in the last couple years from tanks.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Might not even be part of the tank but a foreign object introduced during the filling the tank. I have fished out several fill nozzle parts in the last couple years from tanks.
I don’t think it is either.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
It may be some contraption that goes inside one of these new safety nozzles.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's one of those added parts to make someone's mower/engine different that the others as not to get sued about copying their stuff.

Take several pictures of where it goes in the tank and post it here.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's one of those added parts to make someone's mower/engine different that the others as not to get sued about copying their stuff.

I think there will be a hard time doing that.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads

I did take and post a couple of pictures. And I'm almost positive now that it's one of those safety things in the new gas cans. No holes, rubber O ring. No reason for this to be part of a Gravely fuel tank.