Gravely Issue. Please Help

TimmyToe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Earlier this summer my Gravely ZT60 (991084) begin to exhibit an issue of dying after several minutes of use. (Choking the engine always gets me back to the garage).

I thought it had to be a fuel filter. Changed it, same issue.
I thought then it was a fuel pump. Changed it, same issue.

New plugs today, another fuel filter...same issue.

Since choking limps it along enough to get back to the garage, doesn't it have to be a fuel issue?

Loosening the cap doesn't help.

I removed and inspected the carb...seems to be very clean.

Pickup tube unobstructed.

What else can I check?

Kaw FR730V

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
What could you do? Remove fuel line AT carb. See if you get good flow into a glass jar. If not investigate the fuel system. Most likely grass and dirt in fuel tank.

Clean the cooling fins while you are at it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Debris collects in the fuel tank.
Durning use this gets sucked into the fuel outlet partially blocking it so it can not keep pace with the engine demand.
Add to this the waste solvents that are disposed of by adding them to fuel attack the rubber fuel lines so they go soft and can collapse when they get hot.
The hose is a 2 , 3 or 4 layer construction with a different rubber on the inside than what is on the outside
Easiest test is to get another fuel tank, say from an old walk behind mower, pump, generator etc
Pop it on the floor 1/2 full and when the mower plays up, slip the new tank directly on the carb .
Problem goes away = blockage in the fuel line.
Taps & T junctions ( on 2 tank models ) are also snag points .

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
A clean fuel system is a great starting point.

What you describe, to me, is a clogged carb. Little choke limps you back to the garage. Engine is wanting more fuel. Carb needle might be sticking closed??. Float level too low. She is thirsty.

TimmyToe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pulled the tank. I would say there was a ton of debris, but definitely a lot. Pressure washed the tank inside and drained. Used a little HEAT in case there was any moisture remaining. All new gas line and new grommets from the dealer. Fresh gas and mowed for 30 minutes without a sputter.
Removed the cover to clean the fins and found a mouse nest on the left side, and the remainder of a pretty large cooked snake on the right.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pulled the tank. I would say there was a ton of debris, but definitely a lot. Pressure washed the tank inside and drained. Used a little HEAT in case there was any moisture remaining. All new gas line and new grommets from the dealer. Fresh gas and mowed for 30 minutes without a sputter.
Removed the cover to clean the fins and found a mouse nest on the left side, and the remainder of a pretty large cooked snake on the right.
My man...... Keep those fins clean. A yearly item as a must do on ALL mowers. Tell your friends about some clean fins.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IF you don't mow over winter then slip the blower housing off the engine and clean the fins after you have changed the oil on the last mow of the season.

TimmyToe

Forum Newbie
Threads
UPDATE:
Mowed my entire yard today. Ran great. Never sputtered or died.

I have no doubt it was junk in the tank.
Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for coming back
Glad it was not an expensive fix
Crud blocking fuel lines is about the third most common problem with older mowers running bad .