Gravely 991083 spindles

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First time working on a Gravely ZTR. The spindles had over 2mm of play in and out of the shaft. I actually got two versions of the same spindles on both of the 991083 ZTRs in the shop (different serial number breaks). I haven't got to the older one yet. The older one has FHR205-16SP (RA100RR7) bearings and the newer has CSA205-16 (NPC100RPC, FHR205-16, RA100RR). Two completely style bearings. Hopefully the supplier has the crosses right.

The current had to have 2mm ground off the spacer bushings to remove the excess play. No wonder the finish cut was so bad as this movement was nearly the thickness of the Gator blades so as the mower bounce around so did the blade heights.

One lesson learned here is too not assume that since you working on the same model with the same replacement spindle part numbers that the current spindles have the same bearings. No wonder Gravely didn't show a spindle break down.

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
First time working on a Gravely ZTR. The spindles had over 2mm of play in and out of the shaft. I actually got two versions of the same spindles on both of the 991083 ZTRs in the shop (different serial number breaks). I haven't got to the older one yet. The older one has FHR205-16SP (RA100RR7) bearings and the newer has CSA205-16 (NPC100RPC, FHR205-16, RA100RR). Two completely style bearings. Hopefully the supplier has the crosses right.

The current had to have 2mm ground off the spacer bushings to remove the excess play. No wonder the finish cut was so bad as this movement was nearly the thickness of the Gator blades so as the mower bounce around so did the blade heights.

One lesson learned here is too not assume that since you working on the same model with the same replacement spindle part numbers that the current spindles have the same bearings. No wonder Gravely didn't show a spindle break down.
I'm replacing the right side bearings on this Gravely. (fhr205-16SP) Seems everyone wants to just sell the entire spindle assembly. Glad you mentioned there's two different ones on one mower. LMAO.. Now I've got to spend an extra hour making sure I'm looking at the right part & numbers.

Looks like these are about $75 for all 6.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Probably due to the deck changes made. The X-Factor 2 deck will likely have different spindles than the X-Factor 1 deck. This is where the serial numbers will come into play. Gravely is now producing the X-Factor 3 deck. The spindles may be different than the previous versions. Pay close attention to the serial numbers.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Had a gravely in the shop a couple months ago and needed spindle bearings and shaft. Stens has complete spindle for $84.07. For that price cheaper for customer to install new as opposed to parts and labor to rebuild old one.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Had a gravely in the shop a couple months ago and needed spindle bearings and shaft. Stens has complete spindle for $84.07. For that price cheaper for customer to install new as opposed to parts and labor to rebuild old one.
$150 per spindle, minus $13 (bearing) or minus $85 (assembly)?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
generally the 205-16 is the bearing number, and the other numbers are the types of seals and other fine points of the bearing. For example one letter might mean a single lip seal while another might be a double lip seal, or an open back, rubber seal vs stainless with rubber etc.. Same for the RA100RR7 etc numbers. Some come with a locking collar when the part numbers are looked up. Some come as part of a pillow block.

This is the NPC100RPC

NTN_1095.jpg

This is the FHR205-16SP
51skQ+8JJ5L.jpg

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
generally the 205-16 is the bearing number, and the other numbers are the types of seals and other fine points of the bearing. For example one letter might mean a single lip seal while another might be a double lip seal, or an open back, rubber seal vs stainless with rubber etc.. Same for the RA100RR7 etc numbers. Some come with a locking collar when the part numbers are looked up. Some come as part of a pillow block.

This is the NPC100RPC

NTN_1095.jpg

This is the FHR205-16SP
51skQ+8JJ5L.jpg

The ones that came off this deck didn't have the set screw n them. And none of it was black.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
A replacement Rotary brand spindle comes in at around $100 plus shipping.