Grasshopper 616 won't go up inclines.

Chblick99

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 616 in which I installed a hydrostat in this weekend. It now won't go up inclines and it did before. I put a new hydrostat belt on it a few months ago and I struggled getting it on. This morning I finished up the hydrostat install and had no problem putting the belt back on it. Now it squeals going up inclines. I'm thinking it could be the belt install? Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
have you purged them properly ?
Engine running as low as possible , wheels off the ground bypasses open the do slow forward & reverse movements with the lap bars .
Might take several hours to get all the air our .

Chblick99

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, I will try that. Thank you so much!

Chblick99

Forum Newbie
Threads
have you purged them properly ?
Engine running as low as possible , wheels off the ground bypasses open the do slow forward & reverse movements with the lap bars .
Might take several hours to get all the air our .
What do you mean bypasses open?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The levers, rods , nuts whatever you move when you want to push the mower
That diverts the oil from the pump back to the sump bypassing the motors
To remove the air there must be nothing to put a load on the motors so they can spin freely under the influence of air alone .
If there is a load on the wheels then all that happens is the air in the cylinders compresses a bit then expands so it never goes away so the oil never replaces it
There are no seals inside a hydro drive so the whole shooting match relies on the viscious friction of the oil.

Chblick99

Forum Newbie
Threads
So the bypasses are open when there's no load on the wheels but the wheels are turning because they're off the ground? Sorry I'm a little confused.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes exactly right
Wheels off the ground and as you work the lap bars from full forward to full reverse the wheels will become more responsive as the air is expelled till eventually you can not stop them by dragging your foot on the wheels
The engine must be running very slow to avoid foaming the oil

Chblick99

Forum Newbie
Threads
Awesome! Thank you so much. Since this will apparently take awhile, I'll do it this weekend. Thanks again, I'll let you know how it goes.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And don't forget, unless you measured the oil you put in, when the oil displaces the air the oil level will drop so will need to be topped up .

Chblick99

Forum Newbie
Threads
Should I remove the reservoir caps when doing this to allow air to escape?