Grasshopper 616 Won't Crank HELP!!

foamer01

Threads
First please understand I am not a mechanic, however I can take direction and welcome your thoughts and advice. My local shops around are 2-4 weeks out and I need to keep blowing snow. So here goes. I have a 2006 grasshopper 616 B&S V Twin w/400 hours. So here is what happened, same routine every time. I finished blowing snow, all went well, motor running fine, backed up to garage to brush excess snow off machine, throttled down to low rpm and it quit. This never happens. I tried to restart and it will not turn over. Battery tested good (replaced two months ago), 12 volt to the switch (when I turn the key I can hear one click relay?), PTO Electric clutch will engage. Went to starter crossed posts and it turns over just fine. Weird though when doing this with the key on and going direct to the starter engine would not start. All fuses tested good. Not sure if any of this makes sense. Why did the motor shut off? If anyone has any ideas, please advise.

Thanks!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hopefully the faint click will be the fuel solenoid so get some one to turn the key while you hold the little cylinder thing on the bottom of the carburettor you should feel it tripping every time the key is turned on & off.
If the plugs are really wet they will not work so get some new ones,
Check you are getting a good spark when the engine is cranked
Only 2 things make an engine stop dead is the spark stopping or that solenoid shuts down ,

foamer01

Threads
BertsMobile1,

Thanks for your reply. I will try these tomorrow.

One question on your last remark "Only 2 things make an engine stop dead is the spark stopping or that solenoid shuts down."

Will either of these cause the starter not to crank at all? Just to be clear the starter will not crank or turn over at all. I will report back tomorrow.

Thanks!

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
NO
If the engine does not attempt to crank then the PTO or Brake switches are not functioning properly .
Does the started go Klunk when you turn the key to S

foamer01

Threads
NO
If the engine does not attempt to crank then the PTO or Brake switches are not functioning properly .
Does the started go Klunk when you turn the key to S
Yep it does not attempt to crank. No clunk when turning on the key, just a slight noise of a solenoid under the carb. With the key on, the PTO will engage and disengage. Thanks for your help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So your cranking circuit has failed
To protect peoples feet no mower engine will crank with the PTO engaged
To prevent the mower taking off & running down you can not crank it in gear or without the parking brake on
Different companies do this different ways & I can never seem to get my hands on the right Grasshopper circuit diagrams.
You check the circuit by testing for battery voltage at the solenoid trigger wire when the key goes to the S position.
If it is a piggy back e then there is one thin wire on a spade ( push ) terminal
If it has a remote solenoid the there will be 1 or 2 wires at the base. one must got battery voltage and the other must go ground to crank the engine.

foamer01

Threads
To prevent the mower taking off & running down you can not crank it in gear or without the parking brake on
Different companies do this different ways & I can never seem to get my hands on the right Grasshopper circuit diagrams.
You check the circuit by testing for battery voltage at the solenoid trigger wire when the key goes to the S position.
If it is a piggy back e then there is one thin wire on a spade ( push ) terminal
If it has a remote solenoid the there will be 1 or 2 wires at the base. one must got battery voltage and the other must go ground to crank the engine.
Thank you for the trouble shooting help. All of your suggestions should all be considered. So I have a remote solenoid located close to the starter, with key in the start position I had hot on both sides, which I understand as no good and indicating an open ground. So I had jumped all the switches (before checking the power at the solenoid) seat, parking brake, and right hand steer stick, I had not checked left hand steer stick. You guessed it, it was the left hand steer stick switch. Thanks for sticking with me on this, very much appreciated!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And thanks for coming back with the solution
It helps so many others latter on to know what the actual problem was
A tough cool to be mowing yet ?

foamer01

Threads
And thanks for coming back with the solution
It helps so many others latter on to know what the actual problem was
A tough cool to be mowing yet ?
Way to cold for mowing however this thing throws snow like crazy, it actually is incredible!!