Grasshopper 430D run problems

Jjracoon

Threads
I have a 2010 Grasshopper 430D that runs and mows great when I first start to mow. After about 1/2 hour of mowing it starts to bog down and then starts blowing white smoke. Any ideas of why would be helpful.

gsim

Threads
Hate to say it, but white smoke is most often steam. How is coolant level in radiator?

Jjracoon

Threads
Radiator is full. Could it be an electrical problem?

gsim

Threads
If electrical overheating, you would smell the hot plastic, or worse, the coating on the alternator windings. Fuses supposed to cover that before wiring could get that hot anyway. If you can put your hand in the 'smoke' and it is damp, it is coolant. Only other white smoke I can think of is PTO clutch that engages deck. Does it smoke if running, but NOT mowing? If so, not the PTO clutch. What about park brake? Could it be stuck down in brake shoe mechanism? Maybe corrosion keeps spring from disengaging the brake even tho you put park brake handle down?

Jjracoon

Threads
Definitely coming out of exhaust. I thought electrical because if I hook a jumper battery and run it that seems to alleviate the problem for a while. even though the battery checks out OK I may put a new battery in it to see if that makes a difference. Isn't the ignition electronic?

gsim

Threads
White smoke exhaust unlikely to be anyting other than coolant. If you put your hand in the smoke, is it damp? If so, definitely coolant. Does it continue as you operate the mower, or does it go away? Does it affect performance? Does it affect op temp? Maybe only doing it when unit is cold?

gsim

Threads
I have 930D2 diesel unit. One day noticed grass discharge suddenly less, barely any coming out even tho was in tall grass. Figured my PTO clutch was slipping, so I turned off PTO, went to shop. Never thought to look back to see if clutch smoking, so can not say if it was or not. However when I got to shop, engaged PTO again, and it caused engine to die. Repeated twice, same deal. Turned out to be bad 'E' relay. 'E' relay is operated by PTO switch and it operates another relay to engage PTO clutch. Point here is that at first, my unit just had weak clutch engagement, causing slippage and abnormally low grass discharge. If your have same type relay, might be a weak relay causing your clutch to slip.