Gotta make a trimmer decision

sofasurfer

Threads
I was looking at the Stihl FS91 trimmer. Thats about my price limit...$300ish. So many people rave about Stihl. But now I am swayed toward Echo because I bought an Echo chainsaw and I am impressed with it. I have seen a lot of people swear that Echo is right up there with Stihl and as far as repair frequency Echo has a little better reputation. I am pretty much set on these two brands but can not decide. My biggest needs are ease and dependability of starting (painful shoulders). I also want enough power for thick weeds. I like the idea of a 4 stroke engine but I wonder if 4 stroke is really good in a trimmer. Any thoughts?

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
We sell Stihl where I work and the 4Mix engines are good engines. The biggest issue is the weight. The main thing to remember is to keep the valves adjusted. You still have to run mixed gas in the 4 Mix engines. If I were buying a new one it would be FS94. It is a 2 stroke and a great trimmer.

sofasurfer

Threads
We sell Stihl where I work and the 4Mix engines are good engines. The biggest issue is the weight. The main thing to remember is to keep the valves adjusted. You still have to run mixed gas in the 4 Mix engines. If I were buying a new one it would be FS94. It is a 2 stroke and a great trimmer.
I was told that the 94 was lighter than the 91 wgich is important but that price ($359?) is pretty steep for me.
BTW, what terminology do we use when we talk about 4 and 2 cycle engines vs 4 and 2 cycle fuel?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
O work on both the Echo and Stihl trimmers. If I had a choice of the two OEM I would go with the Stihl as they hold up better over time. The only thing I don't like about the Stihl units is that Stihl is forcing us to buy complete carburetors when we have problems with one especially if a Zama is installed.

This is a policy of Stihl I don't like as most of the carburetors are easily repaired when parts are available but Stihl has a controlling interest in Zama now so Zama must bow down to Stihl decisions. I once could buy the repair kits through my Zama distributor. Now those Stihl only carburetor parts must be purchased thru Stihl which refuses to provide to the dealers so my dealer can't even get them now except for whole carburetors.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Maruyama. 5 year Commercial warranty. That says a lot. Commercial guys destroy some trimmers.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Echo also has a five year warranty. I’ve hand mine for over 7 years, beat the hell out of it and it’s never missed a beat.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Tanaka TBC340 I bought in 2004 and have done nothing to it. but it finally refused to start last week. Need to get into it and see what the problem is.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Echo also has a five year warranty. I’ve hand mine for over 7 years, beat the hell out of it and it’s never missed a beat.
Echo is a 5 year homeowner warranty only. Huge difference between the commercial guys.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Tanaka TBC340 I bought in 2004 and have done nothing to it. but it finally refused to start last week. Need to get into it and see what the problem is.
New points and condenser. LOL

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I work on both. They are both good and about the same to work on. If i have a choice it would be Stihl.