Goodbye 2020!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yelp...2020 just wont go away just like the darn election mess or the darn Covid19 virus. I be so glad to get all this mess behind anyone. I lost more income in last year than the previous 10 yrs. I finished 2020 in the red so I worked all of 2020 for nothing.

3yrs, 6 months to the rocking chair money so I think about quitting this repair business and all the headaches it brings. Be my luck I won't even be able to buy just one rocker.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not the best year down here either but I have a large proportion of my income from parts.
Thus when every one was at home, digging out the old mowers from the back of the shed that they were going to fix up, 10 years ago, a lot came to me for free advice & naturally I sold them lots of parts.
Been trying to boost parts sales for a while which is why I under cut the big online retailers ( don't try to match the evilpay scammers )
This year better than 1/2 the income was from strait parts sales.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Covid has been a pain in the butt but after going over the books i am doing OK. Besides Larrys Service Center which is my snall engine shop i have another small one man business, Audio Excellence Consulting. I design and install A/V systems in churches. Since the lockdown hit just about every church has wanted to do some sort of streaming of services. I was swamped with work. Biggest issue was getting equipment, especially cameras. I am also doing handyman work. While most people were sitting at home watching TV i have been busier than ever. Even today i have work to get done plus i have a list of people wanting handyman work done. Older widows will gladly pay $40hr to fix a leaky toilet or change a light fixture or install a dishwasher. When the covid thing goes away i will ptobably start saying No more to the handyman stuff.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Won’t even be getting a W-2 this year, as the COVID changed everything. Sat down with the owner in March and we decided to let the young guns do the majority of the work. They have families and as most of you know that was tough enough without COVID. Went in three or four times to troubleshoot electrical problems, but didn’t punch in. He’s been very good to me over the last 12 years and it was time to give back, so he can keep the young guys working and business going. Will have to decide if this retirement will be permanent in 2021. For many 2021 can only be better, hope you are all in that category.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good luck Rivets! I know many people's livelihood has been devastated by the pandemic. I count myself to be very blessed that i wasn't. When my wife shattered her femur back in March and i became a 24/7 nurse for 3 months if it wasn't for others helping me while trying to run 2 small businesses and take care of her not sure how i would have made it. One of our friends works as a hairdresser. She got laid off and had to sit at home and not make any income.They heat with wood and could not afford to buy firewood so a few of us from church cut up a few cords for them. We did it for a few others too. I know i have been less affected than a lot of other people and have tried to do some things to pay it forward.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’ll be just fine. I was born when Truman was president, oldest in a family of 12, and have been through polio, SARS, Ebola, Cold War, resession, etc. Learned a long time ago that when you pay it forward you don’t have to worry about the future. Biggest problem I have now is trying to stay busy. Honey do list only has two things on it and Honey says “your driving me nuts, find something to do.” She’s even start telling her friends that “I’m a handyman with tools“ to get me out of her way.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
your driving me nuts, find something to do.” She’s even start telling her friends that “I’m a handyman with tools“ to get me out of her way.

LOL