Gizmow Warner PTO Clutch Connector

FarmerCharlie

Threads
When I got the mower back from the shop after the spindle replacement, I mowed a couple of acres when all of a sudden the blades stopped turning. The deck belt was fine. When I tried pulling the PTO switch, nothing happened--not even a click. When I got it to the garage, I noticed that the connector to the clutch seemed a little loose. 20220720_131839_1000T.jpg When I wiggled it, it came loose totally. P1060078_1000T.jpgI pushed it back on, and it was working again, but then came loose again a few minutes later. I noticed that the connector did not click when I pushed it on, and I don't see any sort of locking mechanism on the clutch to match the tab on the connector.
The repair shop did say that they had to remove one of the pulleys to replace the coils. Maybe something broke off the connector.

Anyway, can someone explain whether the connector should click and lock when I connect it? My connector P1060084_crop.jpg looks exactly like this one on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Rotary-Harness-Electric-PTO-Clutch/dp/B005ERKNP6

Although my little 42" EGO ZTR works surprisingly well, it's not all that great for mowing 7 acres or trails through the pasture.
Thanks,
Charlie.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes it suppose to click and lock into place but it looks like the clutch side connector housing is damage.

FarmerCharlie

Threads
Yes it suppose to click and lock into place but it looks like the clutch side connector housing is damage.
That's what I was thinking, but I don't have any idea how that might have happened.

FarmerCharlie

Threads
I have looked at images of some other Warner PTO clutches, and it looks to me like the part of the connector that is attached to the clutch is just missing. I can find plenty of connectors that look just like mine, but I can't find the mating part that is attached to the clutch. Is that part replaceable? If not, then I'm thinking about using a couple of regular connectors like this:Connector.jpg Does that sound like a plan, or would I be better off soldering wires directly to the existing terminals? I'm not sure I could make the solder connections without having to remove the clutch.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You won't find as it molded in place as Warner make the clutch coil.

What ever you do as a makeshift repair it will need to be well insulated.

FarmerCharlie

Threads
I thought that I would try the push-on connectors first. If they feel secure, then I thought I would also slide some heat shrink tubing over the connectors, so that even if they pull off, they would not likely short to the frame or to each other. Another option might be to cover them with a glob of RTV silicone. Does that sound like a plan?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes but do ourself a favour and use non insulated terminals that pierce the insulation so stop it pulling back when it tries to shrink
These come with slip on insulating covers
When I do one I slip around 1" of glued heat shrink tube up the wire first then pull it down to shrink over the wire & crimp to protect the crimp/wire joint & waterproof it ( why the glued heat shrink )
Then if it is a clutch I will drill somewhere the clamp the wire with a small cable tie
IF it still comes off then it is hot glue to fill the cavity where the terminals sit