Giving My Thoughts on Honda hht25/hht35 Trimmers

dfbrown

Threads
Hi everybody,
I just wanted to give my thoughts to you on the honda hht25 and hht35 straight shaft 4 stroke trimmers.
HHT35- i bought this one first and i love it. Only 1 single complaint. It weighs almost 15 pounds. On the everything good. It is very balanced, nice handles and controls, very very easy to start, runs really quite (typical Honda) true 4 stroke so now 2 stroke fumes giving you a headache when using it for a while, no mixing any oil just 10w30 in crankcase and very easy to change, silk smooth power delivery (unlike stihl 4 mix way to light switchey) very low maintance, easy to change headl.
HHT25 I bought this one afterwards and honestly it is just like the 35 but definetely lighter 13lbs and a little less torque but everything else is identical with exact same charastics. I definetely like how they didnt cheep out (honda) and built a proper 4 stroke using reg 87 gas with good oil lubrication in the bottom end and you can turn and rotate it 360% all day long no harm. I know so many people getting away from 2 stroke gas but then all of these companys make 4 strokes that use 2 stroke gas/oil for lubrication. If you going to go that route you would be dumb not to just get a 2 stroke in the 1st place. less moving parts and power to weight. Big reason i ended up getting the small trimmer is , weight and you never use the power that the hht35 has unless your in really high grass (weeds, fields etc) Great Units Highly recomended especially if you looking TRUE 4 stroke. And No the valves dont go out of adjustment like some other models that are out there. Every check your honda mower how often those valves go out. HAHA thats what i tought. Like never.

dfbrown

Threads
Good review. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

hey I try.
seriously though, It is my favorite trimmer I have ever owned. If it were cost effective to honda I would say make the bigger trimmer HHT35 a llittle bit lighter like even 1-1.5lbs and its the biggest best trimmer made today. I have friends that have lawn care business and one has echo and another has stihl and shindawa. I just dont like those other 4 mix machines and there is no way they are as refined as honda. I do like echo 2 stroke if your talking 2 stroke stuff and only stihl trimmer i would consider is the fs250r.

Skeezix

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll add my .02 and resurrect an old thread. My 12 year old Stihl FS 55R finally died 2 weeks ago, so I purchased the HHT25 last week and have about 1.5 hours of run time on it so far. I chose this machine based on my past experience with Honda (cars, mower, generators, snowblower, etc). Below are some thought for anyone considering this machine:

Positives:
-Super easy to start
-Very quiet
-Feel lighter than the specs suggest
-Tons of power at half throttle
-No 2-cycle mix needed

Negatives:
-Very expensive
-Hesitates/sputters when mashing the throttle from idle and when running wide open (this may get better with more engine run time)
-Potential lack of support as Honda dealers in my area claim to never have sold an HHT trimmer

I will be monitoring the sputtering/hesitation issue closely and will post results here.

-Skeezix

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the oil level very regularly, particularly if you run it for long times on hot days.
We only put 10W 40 in then now days
There is only a tiny amount of oil in them so it is easy for it to get critically low.
And yes they are expensive.

Briantii

Threads
I dunno... I‘ve got a KM130R that I’ve had for 6 years or so and its heavy enough, but looks like it weighs less than the Honda models and I’d bet the Stihl has more power too. Not saying the Honda is bad just the Stihl 4 mix is pretty great in my experience- starts first pull, doesnt stink, instant throttle response (but yes, twitchy), and stupid amounts of power for anything you can throw at it. Mine has never given me any problems. I did adjust the valves after break in, but that literally takes 10 minutes if you’ve never done it before. Probably less than 5 once you’ve done it once. I love stihl handhelds though.

dfbrown

Threads
I dunno... I‘ve got a KM130R that I’ve had for 6 years or so and its heavy enough, but looks like it weighs less than the Honda models and I’d bet the Stihl has more power too. Not saying the Honda is bad just the Stihl 4 mix is pretty great in my experience- starts first pull, doesnt stink, instant throttle response (but yes, twitchy), and stupid amounts of power for anything you can throw at it. Mine has never given me any problems. I did adjust the valves after break in, but that literally takes 10 minutes if you’ve never done it before. Probably less than 5 once you’ve done it once. I love stihl handhelds though.
I like the stihl but cold start up there finicky and twitching throttle is so annoying unless your wfo and mowing high weeds down. Built well and dependable and yes valves are super easy to adjust

Briantii

Threads
I like the stihl but cold start up there finicky and twitching throttle is so annoying unless your wfo and mowing high weeds down. Built well and dependable and yes valves are super easy to adjust
Odd, mine starts first pull every time. Prime it 5 times, skip the choke, set the throttle to start and it comes to life instantly every time. I still don’t know why it even has a choke - it just makes it harder to start.

dfbrown

Threads
Odd, mine starts first pull every time. Prime it 5 times, skip the choke, set the throttle to start and it comes to life instantly every time. I still don’t know why it even has a choke - it just makes it harder to start.
Mine would if you primed with no choke or full choke and no prime. Finicky in hot weather on cold start up. When warm always ran good. Br800 is nice and not moody like the trimmers and edger. I just really really hate the light switch throttle respond and no you cannot tune it out. I asked a high up at stihl I was told that why doesn’t it have nice smooth low end power and why so jumpy to say agiants a Honda true 4 stroke Trimmer. I was told the lower rpm combustion efficiency is poor because of its design that being a 4 mix using 2 cycle oil. Compared to a Honda True 4 cycle. Which is very very smooth quiet and fuel efficient. Blower 4 mixes are not so ba at all but much bigger cc engines too. I like stihl stuff built very very well and fit and finish is the best no question. I love there 2 strokes. The best. Big trimmers brush cutters chainsaws. All great well built stuff.

Briantii

Threads
Mine would if you primed with no choke or full choke and no prime. Finicky in hot weather on cold start up. When warm always ran good. Br800 is nice and not moody like the trimmers and edger. I just really really hate the light switch throttle respond and no you cannot tune it out. I asked a high up at stihl I was told that why doesn’t it have nice smooth low end power and why so jumpy to say agiants a Honda true 4 stroke Trimmer. I was told the lower rpm combustion efficiency is poor because of its design that being a 4 mix using 2 cycle oil. Compared to a Honda True 4 cycle. Which is very very smooth quiet and fuel efficient. Blower 4 mixes are not so ba at all but much bigger cc engines too. I like stihl stuff built very very well and fit and finish is the best no question. I love there 2 strokes. The best. Big trimmers brush cutters chainsaws. All great well built stuff.

I agree the throttle is twitchy. I’ve gotten used to it but would be nice if it was smoother. Really odd the difference in starting though. Mine has always been super easy hot or cold engine and freezing or middle of the summer. It starts like my Honda mower - 1 pull. My bg86 is 3 pulls, sometimes 4 if it’s sat for a while.