GF1800 keeps blowing 10 amp fuse, key switch OK, ESS OK, new combo box

gezitz57

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / GF1800 keeps blowing 10 amp fuse, key switch OK, ESS OK, new combo box
My GF1800 ran perfect until recently. I was mowing recently and then it just died without warning. It restarted but none of the gauges worked and it started to sputter shortly afterwards under load. When I tried to shut it off it kept running so I manually shut it down by closing the engine stop solenoid. Upon inspection I found the 10 amp fuse blown so I replaced it and it ran fine but it blew the fuse shortly afterwards. So I checked the engine stop solenoid (removed it and tested it, its OK). So I checked the key switch per the factory service manual steps, its OK. So upon reading several forums I replaced the combo box. It ran for a while and then started doing the same things it did before. So obviously its not the combo box. Its acting like an electrical component is heating up and failing, when its started for the first time it runs fine then after about 30 minutes it blows the fuse, won't shut off using the key, and sputters under load. I am at a loss on this one. Any thoughts on what to check..