Getting rid of contaminated gas & oil

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
So it would seem, we all probably get a few gallons of gas that's got water in it. Or oil that's got gas in it. My local autoparts place will allow me to bring in oil, but it can't have gas or water in it. They're getting pretty strict on that. So checking around, there doesn't seem to be a place anywhere around here that will take oil that's contaminated with anything.
The shop across the street said they'd take some oil that had a little gas in it, because they use it to heat their shop. But water was a no no.

Seems there could be a huge market for picking up contaminated gas & oil. I've got a 5 gallon gas can that's full of contaminated gas, that I can't do anything with. It's taking up a good gas can.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What they don't know you can get by with if they have you dumping the oil in the tank. Heck nearly all oil has water or gas in it. Just not in huge amounts. If water separates out of course you remove it first.

Cleaning up the oils at the refinery is more involved with used oils as there is probably more waste products that has to be removed.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do a search for "bunker oil" or waste oil heaters.
Bunker oil is what ships use when hey are in international waters and the sellers do not care what is in the oil as they run it through a couple of very fine filters and a water separator before selling it to shipping companies .
In the days before obscuration meters in chimney stacks a lot of large buildings used bunker oil to heat the building
Some big energy users like foundries also used to use bunker oil in their furnaces as did some power stations because it is very very cheap and that makes a big difference when you are burning hundreds of tons a day
Contaminated petrol goes into the parts washer as does contaminated diesel .

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
What they don't know you can get by with if they have you dumping the oil in the tank. Heck nearly all oil has water or gas in it. Just not in huge amounts. If water separates out of course you remove it first.

Cleaning up the oils at the refinery is more involved with used oils as there is probably more waste products that has to be removed.

I suppose I could use some colored containers to mix the gas with oil. I just don't have any used oil at the moment. I had gotten rid of it at the end of the year. As it was straight up used oil and Carquest would take it. Now, all I have is that 5 gallon gas can and 3 or 4 milk jugs fill of old gas that's got water in it.

But my idea, was a company that went around picking up all this oil, water, gas and god knows what else for a fee. According to the shop across the street, there is no place in Arkansas to take this.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Ahh you can't usually get rid except by burning it while doing a trash or brush pile fire or at least that how I get rid of it when it is no longer flammable.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ahh you can't usually get rid except by burning it while doing a trash or brush pile fire or at least that how I get rid of it when it is no longer flammable.

What I have is still very flammable. But not good enough to run in anything, like the splitter I'm working on now.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
your local HHW site. Most loales have them at the local main landfill or transfer stations. That is how we handle it. They will limit you to usually under 5 gallons as a resident and you'll give up the container. Be sure to mark what is in it. What city are you in? Arkansas is a big state.