Generator Adjustments

fayjim2

Threads
I have a Homelite EHRL 4400 approx 30 years old. I,m sure there can,t be 50 hrs run time. Last time used it had trouble transitioning between small load and larger load. Hesitation. I have just bought a B/S kit for carb. I would like to know how to adjust voltage and the govermnor. Is there a regulator? Just installed new brushes.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Voltage is fixed by the capacitor. When the unit running full load the engine needs to be running @3600 rpm, High idle speed 3750 rpm. US speeds for 60-62 hz. European 50 hz has a slower speed. Off load speed I don't know as it appear you are referring to an idle down speed.

shadetree#1

Threads
If you do not have a Hz (frequency meter) just set the voltage at 125 no load then connect a 80% resistive load and see if it maintains the voltage at 110 or above.
If you have a Hz meter set the no load cycles (Hertz, HZ or frequency) at about 63-65 (using the speed adjust spring connected to the governor arm) and the voltage should not be over 125 then connect the 80% load (about 3000 watt load) and check the HZ and voltage. Hz should stabilize at 58 or above and voltage not less than 110. The governor spring connects to different holes or notches in the governor arm so as to minimize hunting from no load to 80% load. (termed governor sensitiveness)

fayjim2

Threads
Is adjusting the Governor spring necessary because of the gen age or is something worn? We live at 2400 feet, would that make a difference?. Ia carburator ice ever a problem for a gen of this type?

shadetree#1

Threads
Is adjusting the Governor spring necessary because of the gen age or is something worn? We live at 2400 feet, would that make a difference?. Ia carburator ice ever a problem for a gen of this type?
Yes,
Maybe Yes,
Yes