Generac parts search

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm trying to find a fuel tank for a Generac Powerboss 8000 powermaster. Model number, is 16470. The fuel tank is a 193633GS. Apparently they're unavailable at my known sources.

This is a plastic tank on a Generac powerboss 8000 powermaster. 16470.

It's been JB Welded, which didn't work because the nut that holds the shut off valve tight, has way too much slack in it, causing a gap between the inside of the tank and the nut. Which makes it all loose. And no way to clean all the surface area.
So I pried the shut off valve and nut out ever so gently, so that I didn't bogger up much of the hole. Being a #4 on my good days, my bright idea is to heat up a socket that's a little smaller than the grommet I have. Which came with an L shaped fitting that I can squeeze some fuel line on.

UPDATE: It almost worked. The leak is very minimal. Problem is, besides it still leaking, even though the socket was smaller than the grommet, sliding it in and out quickly, the hole is now almost the same size as the grommet. I'm afraid if I go even a frog hair bigger, it'll leak even more.

The socket I used first, which was much small, caused an even worse leak.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's what I'm trying to do. Only with the existing hole that's been melted a little to get it back in shape. I'm gonna need a bigger grommet. But I'm pretty sure this is the right fix.
It'll have to be the right fix because I can't find this tank.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't think that they make a bigger grommet.
Taryl at the EXPO is great, I used to go every year.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Strange as the fuel valve should been just a push type not a screw in type. And yes even the superseded to tank is NLA but the fuel valve is still available.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the old hole is flogged out you can plug the hole and make another one
Tanks are usually HDPE and can be plastic welded very easily provided you CLEAN IT PROPERLY
I do it regularly with hand held tools where the grommet hole has gotten too big
Dont forget some hand held tanks have really big holes.
I did a post hole digger and a star picket driver this way using a 3 hole grommet and just shoved a piece ot tube in the other 2 holes to block them off.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have repaired plastic tanks using the HF tool
And some pieces of old plastic gas can.
If the hole is buggared i would weld up the hole and install a new bushing and fitting in a new hole. Drill it , don't try and melt the hole.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use milk bottles and a hot air welding gun but it is the same proceedure
Tried using chemical drums because they were thicker but it was really difficult to get both pieses glassy at the same time where as with thin material like milk bottles you get the tank glassy then introduce strips of milk bottle that become active almost instantly
Roll them down with a silicon or polished stainless steel roller .
Let it cool down stone cold , trim off any bad bits then apply a second bigger patch and if you are feeling anal a third .
Started doing this 3 years ago when I had a spate of JD 100 series tanks that were splitting along the seams
All of them are still running
You can practice on some 5 gallon chemical drums , usually there are ton of them laying around in the street
Done it on quite a few Stihl trimmer tanks as well .

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the old hole is flogged out you can plug the hole and make another one
Tanks are usually HDPE and can be plastic welded very easily provided you CLEAN IT PROPERLY
I do it regularly with hand held tools where the grommet hole has gotten too big
Dont forget some hand held tanks have really big holes.
I did a post hole digger and a star picket driver this way using a 3 hole grommet and just shoved a piece ot tube in the other 2 holes to block them off.

The grommet and L shaped fitting I'm using came from a ferris hydraulic tank I replaced a few months ago. It's sort of light red color. Being that it held hydraulic fluid, wouldn't that hold up to gas? After the incident with my oil extractor last week, (having a lot of gas in it, and it weakening the plastic tank), it got me to wondering if maybe this grommet is the wrong type of material.

Hopefully I won't have to do another hole. But thanks for the idea on it though.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use milk bottles and a hot air welding gun but it is the same proceedure
Tried using chemical drums because they were thicker but it was really difficult to get both pieses glassy at the same time where as with thin material like milk bottles you get the tank glassy then introduce strips of milk bottle that become active almost instantly
Roll them down with a silicon or polished stainless steel roller .
Let it cool down stone cold , trim off any bad bits then apply a second bigger patch and if you are feeling anal a third .
Started doing this 3 years ago when I had a spate of JD 100 series tanks that were splitting along the seams
All of them are still running
You can practice on some 5 gallon chemical drums , usually there are ton of them laying around in the street
Done it on quite a few Stihl trimmer tanks as well .

It's been a while since I read this, but isn't there something about melting two different types of plastic being a no-no? I can't see why it would matter. But I'm not a chemist.