Gcv 170 pull chord mech smashed to bits

nadakuss

Forum Newbie
Threads

Hi all thanks for having me.

I was using my mower yesterday, the mower is new last season wit very little use. I have added a link to YouTube with some photos of what happened basically the pull start has broken itself to pieces. The pull handle was halfway up the mower handle and I removed the eyelet to have the pull chord next to the engine like my old mountfield. Shortly after I did this the pull chord disappeared inside the housing and when I removed the top it looked like the photos. I am happy to buy a new one but they are quite expensive. I just want to avoid this happening again so if anyone knows why this has happened please advise. Does the pull chord have to be up the handle? Many thanks.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Something cause the starter cup to snag onto the starter pulley, and unless the rope was hanging loose I don't think it was anything that you did. Haven't seen that issue since the early ball starters on briggs and similar other engines when either the balls would stick inside the housing or the clutch nose would sieze onto the extended part of the crankshaft.

Bertrrr

Threads
Well it's plastic, i've seen this before not much you can do but replace the worn parts, it does not have to run all the way up the handle - that's there for making it easy to reach etc.

nadakuss

Forum Newbie
Threads
Something cause the starter cup to snag onto the starter pulley, and unless the rope was hanging loose I don't think it was anything that you did. Haven't seen that issue since the early ball starters on briggs and similar other engines when either the balls would stick inside the housing or the clutch nose would sieze onto the extended part of the crankshaft.
Tbh when the chord was put down near the motor it wasn't all the way in and hanging loose/ out about 150mm

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
A little bit of loose cord hanging inside next to the rope pulley could of snagged the rotating fins of the cooling fan and started the process of destruction.