Gator Blades 2018 Gravely 42ZTX

LawnCowboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just put a mulching kit on my mower and I'm looking for the best mulching blades. I prefer Gator Blades however I am open. John Jax Fl.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No such thing
There is the blade that works best with your deck on your grass in your yard and that will be different to the ones that work best for me .
Get a couple of different sets and swap them every month till you find the ones that work best for you.
A lot of people down here run 2 different sets of blades, one for winter when the fine grass predominates and another for spring & summer when the thick lush grasses predominate.

bullet bob

Threads
I think you may find that your mulching kit & blades work best in the fall, especially if you have leaves. Otherwise, high-lift blades and discharge are a good choice.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
But he wanted some new Gator Blades.....

slomo

LawnCowboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you Slomo. I will be mulching and I would like to use a gator style blade. I have used them on previous Lawn Mowers and they work great so any suggestions would me great.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
What is wrong with the blades in the kit? They look as capable as any other. Gravely chose them for a reason.

1.PNG

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mulching blades are just low or ultra low lift blades. Gator cuts voids in the lift portion to reduce lift and also "CLAIM" to bag perfectly. Notice the tiny lip on those Gravely blades = mulchers.

Mulching also chokes the turf from air, water and fertilizer. Lots of spring and early summer rains can lead to turf disease and your turf growing mushrooms. Bagging has always been the best looking mow method by far.

This is the other extreme of mulching blades. Snapper did this many decades ago. Still haven't seen another mower company try to duplicate this. Course 99% of us fat lazy Americans tend to mulch or sling.

71DraPtkn0L._AC_SS450_.jpg
s-l400.jpg

Stokdgs

Threads
Mulching blades are just low or ultra low lift blades. Gator cuts voids in the lift portion to reduce lift and also "CLAIM" to bag perfectly. Notice the tiny lip on those Gravely blades = mulchers.

Mulching also chokes the turf from air, water and fertilizer. Lots of spring and early summer rains can lead to turf disease and your turf growing mushrooms. Bagging has always been the best looking mow method by far.

This is the other extreme of mulching blades. Snapper did this many decades ago. Still haven't seen another mower company try to duplicate this. Course 99% of us fat lazy Americans tend to mulch or sling.

View attachment 56842
View attachment 56843
Yes ! I still have a 2002 model Snapper Hi Vac Deck with that Hi lift blade.. they call those metal parts "wings", and they really help lift and cut the lawn great..
Mower came with the Snapper 2-blade mulcher, but I knew I wanted to vacuum everything up...
If you really want to see a lawn look great, with this Snapper, mow 90 degrees to the first mow and the lawn will really be flat. And there will be a little amount of grass in the bag that the 2nd mow took off the top..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Bad mulching or lazy mowing is what causes those problems not the actual mulching
Go play golf and watch the EXPERTS IN GRASS MAINTENANCE at work .
The average home owner is an absolute blithering idiot when it comes to grass
Nearly all seem to think their grass should look like a deep green carpet the entire year.
They add way too much heavy nitrogen fertalizer, usually at the wrong time and in the wrong form .
Then water too little too often followed by too much.
Then they cut too low and at the wrong time and usually cut way too much off in each mow .
Most home owners buy the grass they love to look of without any regard os weather it actually will suit their block , soil or rainfall.

Grass is the most difficult expensive & labour intensive thing you can cover ground with apart from a house .
More than once I have made suggestions to customers to drastically reduce the size of their lawns and for those who followed these suggestions they hjave never stopped thanking me for giving them their weekends back .

LawnCowboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys thank you for your input. Bagging is not an option for me as I do not have the space in my shed to keep the bagging kit. I figured that mulching is better thank shooting the clippings out the side and all over lawn surface.