Gas straight into chamber...it starts & runs but then.......

Academical

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Gas straight into chamber...it starts & runs but then.......
Spent a day on Lockdown on a Flymo GL47 which was not running. Stripped carburettor to ensure jet were all clear. Also removed head and cleared carbon gunge. Re-assembled & tried to start. No luck!
Checked I had a spark which was good, so no issues with coil etc/electrics. Must be fuel issue then?
Tried the old trick of putting a little gas into the piston chamber after removing spark plug. Refitted plug, and the machine started right away. Left it running for 3/4 minutes to ensure it was drawing fuel. Fine,
Came back about 10 minutes later having cleaned up all tools and bench and pulled cord on mower.

Nothing, No hint of a start. Tried choke On Choke Off, Still nothing.

Must be something simple but as dinner was called from significant other, I hav eleft this until tomorrow morning. Meantime, any ideas or suggestions? (I didn't have time to try the direct injection gas again tonight!) :)

Romore

Threads
You know it has compression and spark, only thing left is carburetor. What engine? If it has the English Tecumseh good luck finding a diaphragm kit for the Dellorto carb.

logert gogert

Threads
even though you say you've looked at the carb and it was clean, still sounds like you have a carb issue

logert gogert

Threads
and i hate to ask, but is there gas in the tank?
( we've all done it.....)

Academical

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, Gas in the tank on a ratio of between 25:1 and 32:1. Air Screw opened on the tank and tap switched ON too! There was gas/petrol in the float chamber as well.

Romore suggests a diaphragm for the English Tecumseh engine & itt IS a Delorto FHC 2013 Carb though. There is a part behind the carb which I did not take off. It is a set of stainless steel flaps between the carb and the engine chamber in which the piston & drive are located. Could this be the diaphragm Romore is taking about? The flaps were moving when I gently pushed them with a thin screwdriver. As all looked sound I left that part well alone.

Appreciate the early replies. Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please post any engine info you can find. Brand, model and serial numbers. We need to know what you have in front of you.

Romore

Threads
Those are the reed valves, if they fail it won't run at all. The diapragm if it has one, I believe it does, is in the carburetor itself.

Academical

Forum Newbie
Threads
Those are the reed valves, if they fail it won't run at all. The diapragm if it has one, I believe it does, is in the carburetor itself.
Thanks for clarification.
Now sorted the problem finally so great for all feedback. Cheers.

Romore

Threads
So what did you find? It may help someone else.