Gas Filter(?)

Boomer057

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2013 Craftsman lawnmower with a Briggs & Stratton 140cc motor. The number after the 140cc on the label says 381347. The other day it started up just fine then stopped dead. Couldn't get it to start back up. I checked out a couple of Youtubes and decided to take the Carburator off, clean it out and replace all the old gas. Just when I finished putting everything back together, there was what looks like a very small pass thru Gas Filter sitting on the deck where I was working. I can't find it anywhere in drawings or instructions. It's a small 1" long plastic round thing that has a small opening.

Does anyone have any idea where this goes? The lawnmower is working but takes two pulls to start compared to one before all this.

I'm all ears...

Attachments

• Lawnmower Filter?.jpg
    Lawnmower Filter?.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 6

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is the white thing on the side of the carb in this picture. Supposed to go to a non existent primer hose. but could effect priming if not installed.

Boomer057

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for your help! Like you said and showed, it fit right in and wasn't hard to do either. Just removed the Air Cleaner and slid the Carb off. Easy peasy, Pumpkin Pie!

Unfortunately, the mower did not start up afterward but I'm hoping it has something to do with the gas needing to get up and start priming. I'll give it a bunch of pulls in the morning. Thnks again!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Those plastic carbs are bad about developing clogging debris. Most likely you will need to pull the carb and clean it.

The number you gave does not back as a model number. Probably an in house label PN. With Craftsman mowers sometime they include the engine's model on IPLs but not always. It probably a 8P engine with the model and type engrave on the side of the crankcase.

As for carb I have seen what look like ting jelly beans to what was in the last carb that looked similar to snowflakes that had clogged the main jet.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Those plastic carbs are bad about developing clogging debris. Most likely you will need to pull the carb and clean it.

The number you gave does not back as a model number. Probably an in house label PN. With Craftsman mowers sometime they include the engine's model on IPLs but not always. It probably a 8P engine with the model and type engrave on the side of the crankcase.

As for carb I have seen what look like ting jelly beans to what was in the last carb that looked similar to snowflakes that had clogged the main jet.
Sounds like somebody had some water contaminated ethanol gas(similar to diesel algae) that had been treated with Sta-bil.

OldDiyer

Threads
I get that the fuel could have been contaminated but what would that have to do with Sta-bil ?? I don't think that Stab-bil is made to contaminate the fuel or at least as to what I have read about it. You would think if it did there would have been a few lawsuits for the problem.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What IL is saying that the Sta-Bil is combining with the water and creating a jelly like substance. I have seen jelly like substances even without Sta-Bil being in the fuel. One time the carburetor I was working was complete filled with jelly substance that looked like clear gelatin and personally kow the customer never used any fuel stabilizers. He was lucky to even get out of bed on some days without telling him how.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The Sta-bil will form a white crystalline deposit when it deteriorates. That bit of information came from a retired engineer that worked for the company that made Sta-bil. Every time that I have found the white crystals in the fuel bowl on a carb repair, and make the comment to the customer "I see that you have been using Sta-bil". And the reply 100% of the time has been "I have, how do you know"

Boomer057

Forum Newbie
Threads
I took the lawnmower to a shop and dropped it off. This shop is awesome. I dropped off another lawnmower a couple of years ago, they had it for a week and only charged me $40. Said the gas had water and the plug was fouled.

I have no clue what the problem is. I took the carb off and completely cleaned it. I sprayed Carb Cleaner in every hole I could find. It was dirty but now it looks brand new. I believe there was a little water in the bowl and the gas tank. Not a lot though. These guys will figure it out and I'll update this thread when they do. Thanks again for your assistance!

Boomer057

Forum Newbie
Threads
I find it interesting my Carburetor sells for $54.00 on the Briggs & Stratton website. And when I Google the same Carburator, I found many for as little as $10.00.