Gas consumption

Bretthildebrand

Forum Newbie
Threads
How is the gas consumption on the Kawasaki engine on the Maverick? How many hours can you get mowing on one tank? Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Really ?
Mowing 3' high pasture and triple cutting ?
knocking 1/4" of a fine couch lawn and striping
Mulching 3" off the top of dense kikkiu ?
How long is a piece of string ?

Bretthildebrand

Forum Newbie
Threads
Really ?
Mowing 3' high pasture and triple cutting ?
knocking 1/4" of a fine couch lawn and striping
Mulching 3" off the top of dense kikkiu ?
How long is a piece of string ?
Yes really… mowing a normal yard once a week/striping if you need to know specifically.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Lets see there three different engines and three different deck sizes used on the Maverick. But least the tank capacity is the same at 6.5 gallons. And as Bert noted mowing conditions are variable. What someone calls a normal yard maybe totally different what call I normal. For me my yard is nearly six acres and level. The neighbor's yard is 5 acres with a slope (grade on about 3.5 acres). He burns more fuel than I do using his mower. And striping will add to the fuel consumption too as it adds drag.

Probably best to talk the salesman at Bad Boy as got a lot more experience with their equipment performance.

Bretthildebrand

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lets see there three different engines and three different deck sizes used on the Maverick. But least the tank capacity is the same at 6.5 gallons. And as Bert noted mowing conditions are variable. What someone calls a normal yard maybe totally different what call I normal. For me my yard is nearly six acres and level. The neighbor's yard is 5 acres with a slope (grade on about 3.5 acres). He burns more fuel than I do using his mower. And striping will add to the fuel consumption too as it adds drag.

Probably best to talk the salesman at Bad Boy as got a lot more experience with their equipment performance.
Thanks for the info. Going to the dealer today.

Bretthildebrand

Forum Newbie
Threads

Thanks for the info. Going to the dealer today. Never had a zero turn but have used one before.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
ZTR's use about 1/4 more fuel /hr than a tractor with a hydro drive
A hydro drive uses about 1/4 more fuel than a vari drive ( all belts ) or a manual gearbox .
High lift blades will add about 10% to the fuel useage because they shift more air and shifting air costs money
Throwing with low lift blades uses less fuel than bagging which uses less fuel than mulching
Then there is the speed you mow
Knocking 1" off the street frontage ( 2 to 3 acres ) will go through about 1 to 2 gallons of fuel
Knocking 1' off the same street frontage will use better than 5 gallons
And right now I have 5' to cut and that will use about 20 gallons because they have been working on the road & there has been no access for the past 3 weeks.
If the cost of fuel is that much of a problem get a sythe which is how they cut grass prior to mowers or rent the space to some one with a horse .

bkeller500

Threads
For What it's worth............I have a 25hp Briggs on a Simplicity 52" ZT and I mow 1.3 acres of Kentucky blue. 30 % hills and ditches and I average about 2-gallons of gas each time.

Bud in Fla

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm new here but SWMBO can mow our 2 acres 3 or 4 times on 1 tank with our Kawasaki powered 60" Maverick.

(She Who Must Be Obeyed - she loves to mow and doesn't like me messing with her machine)

Divot

Threads
Well the question was vague enough but I think I understand what he may be getting at. Fuel is more expensive than ever. I’m a Kawasaki engine fan and depend on these powerful, reliable engines. My Kawasaki engine currently on my gravely is quite a thirsty engine compared to my much bigger Briggs engine. The Kawasaki is much smaller 21.5 vs the 27 with the Briggs but the kawa consumes much more that the Briggs on the same lawns. That being said, I’d still choose Kawasaki because of my personal experience using all three major engine brands. Hope this doesn’t create a storm of controversy. We all have our preferences.