Gas Can Labels - information

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's certain many have different types of equipment ( 4 cycle - 2 cycle ) so gas of the correct nature is important to specific equipment. How do you label your gas cans as 2 or 4 cycle, maybe Stabil if it was added and when was fresh gas put in the container? Do you have a convenient way of keeping track of this?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's written on the can, such as "87 no mix" "87 50:1, Husky" "91 50:1 Echo" and so on. If it's for a specific unit, I include the name of the equipment. If not, just the octane and mix, if any. I got too much stuff and not enough memory to keep track of it in my head.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Originally different types sizes & colours.
When I started I was told the previous owner ran all of the blue smokes on 40:1 so he only kept 1 mix
After some problems with stale fuel now I only keep standard fuel and mix the blue smoke as needed in a 1 litre ( quart to some ) mixing bottle
If there is some left over it goes into one of the 2 stroke mowers.
Same story when I have finished with the line trimmer, fuel get tipped out & goes in to the pushy.
The only exception is if we are clearing the fence line when we will go through a gallon or more premix

All of the aftermarket parts companies do colour coded tags and you can slip one through the can handle then burn the mix into the plastic with a hot nail.

Bob E

Threads
I keep 2 blends of premix in small cans from different manufacturers and time periods. I keep plain gasoline in a bigger can.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK, here is what I think will be the simplest for me, and of course it's subject to change. In the gas fill area keep a felt tip marker, a few zip ties and a plastic label of some sort to write on. It tells me how old the gas is, if 2 cycle oil was added for those 2 cycles in the gallon container. I'm mainly interested in age of the gas and if it needs to be used in a vehicle with the container(s) re-filled with fresh gas. I'm not commercial and don't care to be. I have a lawn tractor and Honda 2000i generator that require straight gas and a echo string trimmer and a echo chain saw that need 2 cycle mixed.

Attachments

• gas Label--2019.JPG
    gas Label--2019.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 7

RP54

Threads
It's certain many have different types of equipment ( 4 cycle - 2 cycle ) so gas of the correct nature is important to specific equipment. How do you label your gas cans as 2 or 4 cycle, maybe Stabil if it was added and when was fresh gas put in the container? Do you have a convenient way of keeping track of this?

I use different colors of electrical tape which I put around the handle of my plastic cans. The tape has stayed in place for years. Initially I used green tape for two-cycle fuel since my chain saw was green. Now I have a couple different colors since my Lawn Boy mix is a bit less oil than my chain saws & weed eaters. The same thing could be done for stabilized 2 & 4 cycle fuels. Perhaps a two-colored code for stabilized?
This of course would not address the age issue, but I try to keep containers small enough to use the fuel within a month or two (1-gallon for 2-cycle, 2 gallon for regular push mower/4-cycle weed eater, 5 gallon for riding mower).
Just an idea.