FX691v running on one cylinder, new coils

fortay

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and I'm sorry to say that I come bearing no gifts, just needs.

In the middle of mowing my Tiger Cat(STC532V-691FX) started running rough, almost sputtering. It didn't matter if I had the blades on or off. If I pushed both control arms forward at once, the rpm would die down. I figured out that one side wasn't getting spark, so I replaced both ignition coils, air filter, and spark plugs. Then I realized it was running only on the number 2 cylinder.

After putting the thing back together, the engine won't start if I tighten the bolts holding the engine cover. If I loosen them, the engine will start, but will continue to run rough as before. I just checked, and once again, one side is not getting spark.

I removed the number 1 valve cover and regapped the valves. I sanded the coil posts. The mower starts and immediately dies if I pull the kill wire off the coil.

Does anyone have any ideas?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Double post.

Model number correction STC52V-691FX No serial given. The problem is with the Kawasaki FX691 spec number number for troubleshooting. But currently it sounds like #2 cylinder is down provide the OP is pulling #1 coil wire.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Go back to the basics, air, fuel and spark. Sounds like you might have a wiring issue? Any mice eating on your wires? On a push mower, grounding that wire on the coil will KILL the engine. Also get a couple of those coil wires with the lights in them. They light up when the coil fires the plug.

slomo

Midnight_Rider

Forum Newbie
Threads
Test all of your coils using a multi meter set to ohms.. It most likely should read well below 17 whixh is thebouter limits for usability but the lower the number the better.. Then install the 2 with the lowest numbers remembering to gap them the same as your plug gap... Next look for a wire grounding to the metal cover or side air plates which would cause one or both coils to short or ground... Also may wanna check the main safety kill box that all of the mowers safety switches tie into by finding the 2 connections and temporarily bypassing the switch with a jumper wire to see if there may be an issue there...A cheap multi meter can quickly take the guesswork out of a lot of problems..