Fuel Starvation

Jag99

Forum Newbie
Threads
Craftsman self propeled 6.5 hp Eager 1 engine fails to run but a few seconds after starting. Origiinally I could get it to start after priming 20 times with priming bulb, but had to continuously push the primer to have the engine stay running. After 20-30 secomds the engine would then run for 30-45 minutes needed to complete my trim mowing. Now it won't start after I have done the following: I have fresh gas, clean gas tank, tank lid is vented, good flow from tank to carb. New carb with confirmed float bowl full of gas as I took drain screw out to confirm this. New plug. The plug is not wet after priming, nor is it wet if I pull the cord to start multiple times. If I spray starting fluid or gas down the throttle body the engine will run momentarily until it uses that fuel up. New gaskets with carb were installed. Why am I not getting gas from float bowl into the carb. I have not taken the float bowl off to inspect parts as it is brand new. The old carb would allow starting after excessive priming whereas the new one will not start regardless of how many times it is primed. The carb is the correct one for the mower as I checked with reputable supplier before buying.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Time to clean and rebuild the carb. The float seat has swelled causing hard starting. If it is a Tecumseh engine you will need to buy a kit 631021B and replace the needle and seat. Here is the procedure I use.
Needle and seat replacement.

Remove the carb, and then remove the float bowl. Check the float bowl jet (which is the bowl screw) and make sure the jets both horizontal and vertical are clean and open. Tip the carb upside down and remove the float pin and float with needle attached. Look in the float needle passage and you should see the red float seat at the bottom of the passage. This is where a #5 crotchet hook would come in handy as you need to remove this seat. If you have no hook, but compressed air, you can blow through the fuel inlet and try to pop the seat out. Put your thumb over the passage to prevent the seat from flying who knows where. No air or hook try bending a stiff paper clip to dig the seat out.

I would either give the carb a good 24 hour soaking or have it ultrasonically cleaned at this time.

With the seat out clean the passage way with carb cleaner. Now you must find a drill bit slightly smaller than the passage way, to be used to press in the new seat. Apply a very, very small amount of a very light lube to the new seat. 3-1 oil or lighter, to help seat it better. Carefully insert the new seat in the passage way with the rings on the seat down toward the carb body. Slowly and carefully force the seat down with the back end of the drill bit. Once it is seated, check to see that it did not flip and the rings are up. Next check to make sure that the float does not have any liquid in it. If it does, replace. If everything looks correct, attach the new needle to the float and install with the float pin centered. It everything is correct, the float should seat level to the carb body, when looking at it upside down. If everything looks good reattach the float bowl, making sure that both the bowl gasket and the nut gasket seal properly. Reinstall on the engine and test unit. Remember to have patience and take your time. Good luck, but I don't think you'll need it.

PS: On the side of some Tecumseh carbs you will find a plastic cover. Under this cover will be an idle jet. Remove it and check to see that the jet is open both horizontally and vertically. You should be able to push the old float needle wire through the vertical opening.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Time to clean and rebuild the carb. The float seat has swelled causing hard starting. If it is a Tecumseh engine you will need to buy a kit 631021B and replace the needle and seat. Here is the procedure I use.
Needle and seat replacement.

Remove the carb, and then remove the float bowl. Check the float bowl jet (which is the bowl screw) and make sure the jets both horizontal and vertical are clean and open. Tip the carb upside down and remove the float pin and float with needle attached. Look in the float needle passage and you should see the red float seat at the bottom of the passage. This is where a #5 crotchet hook would come in handy as you need to remove this seat. If you have no hook, but compressed air, you can blow through the fuel inlet and try to pop the seat out. Put your thumb over the passage to prevent the seat from flying who knows where. No air or hook try bending a stiff paper clip to dig the seat out.

I would either give the carb a good 24 hour soaking or have it ultrasonically cleaned at this time.

With the seat out clean the passage way with carb cleaner. Now you must find a drill bit slightly smaller than the passage way, to be used to press in the new seat. Apply a very, very small amount of a very light lube to the new seat. 3-1 oil or lighter, to help seat it better. Carefully insert the new seat in the passage way with the rings on the seat down toward the carb body. Slowly and carefully force the seat down with the back end of the drill bit. Once it is seated, check to see that it did not flip and the rings are up. Next check to make sure that the float does not have any liquid in it. If it does, replace. If everything looks correct, attach the new needle to the float and install with the float pin centered. It everything is correct, the float should seat level to the carb body, when looking at it upside down. If everything looks good reattach the float bowl, making sure that both the bowl gasket and the nut gasket seal properly. Reinstall on the engine and test unit. Remember to have patience and take your time. Good luck, but I don't think you'll need it.

PS: On the side of some Tecumseh carbs you will find a plastic cover. Under this cover will be an idle jet. Remove it and check to see that the jet is open both horizontally and vertically. You should be able to push the old float needle wire through the vertical opening.

After the seat has been seated, should you be able to see the rings on the seat, or no?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Rings go against the carb body, you should not see them

LMAO.. Well the one I just installed worked fine. And I could see the ring. HA HA HA HA HA...

I know. I know. I'm gonna fix it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Didn’t look at the enclosed instructions did you? Briggs even includes pictures. Sorry I had to ask.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Didn’t look at the enclosed instructions did you? Briggs even includes pictures. Sorry I had to ask.

That's OK. I deserve that. I've done it right many times. But it's only ever so often I get to do one of these. This last time, like 2 days ago. It was "Does the ring go up or down? Oh yeah, it goes up. I remember the word "up" the last time I looked it up. But up means down, when it's upside down.

Jag99

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is a brand new carb which came with the float bowl. There is no way it would need to be rebuilt.
Tecumseh 632671A

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen a new carb that needed to be rebuilt. Did you replace the gasket where you replaced it? Look in the carb, do you see fuel squirting up when you push the primer bulb?