Fuel questions

Cornfield

Threads
Apparently, Toro recommends using their "All Season Fuel" which appears very pricy. I’ve used regular gas in my home Deere tractor, Ariens Snow Blower and my generator adding Stabil in the Off seasons, when they won’t be used for several months.
What fuels and additives are you guys using in the Toro mowers

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’m a Toro guy, but that one is not in my language. I use 91 octane, ethanol free gas in all my equipment. If they are to be stored for more than a month, unit will be run dry, including draining the carb bowl.

shurguywutt

Threads
Taryl, a funny guy on youtube did an experiment with 10 brand new engines and used all kinds of different fuel additives/ethanol treatments. Plain 87 octane failed at about 18 months (around the same time most of the fuel w/ additives failed). So it should be fine if you keep it fresh. Non Ethanol is best if you can find it and don't mind paying $4+/gal (thanks Brandon!). I like to add a 1oz outboard smokeless 2 stroke oil per 5 gal can.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Taryl, a funny guy on youtube did an experiment with 10 brand new engines and used all kinds of different fuel additives/ethanol treatments. Plain 87 octane failed at about 18 months (around the same time most of the fuel w/ additives failed). So it should be fine if you keep it fresh. Non Ethanol is best if you can find it and don't mind paying $4+/gal (thanks Brandon!). I like to add a 1oz outboard smokeless 2 stroke oil per 5 gal can.
There were a lot of technical problems with the way he did that experiment so don't elevate the findings above the level of interesting trend.
Setting up a truely accurate experiment is a very difficult thing to do
Simple things like the distance from the unlined tin wall can make a big difference particularly if that wall was either in full sun or full shade
The mason jars meant nothing apart from the fact that some of them were obviously not sealing properly .
In the first year of college we were given experiments to do to show us various things about physics & chemistry but mostly to familarize us with the equipment & the sort of things that can affect the results.
In the following 3 years we had to design our own experiments and in those 80% of the score was for the design & only 20% for the results.
When you understand the what , why & how it becomes easy to design what appears to be a valid experiment in such a way that yore guarranteed to get the desired results regardless of weather they are actually true of false .
Making a totally unbiased completely objective experiment is unbelievably difficult to do and most of what is on You tube or face ache is poor at best .
All of what you see on TV & in advertising is total trash but unfortunately people believe it .

Just about every engine maker sells their own branded fuel & oil because it is a never ending source of income
And yes the equipment will work best if you use these products according to the directions ( which no one ever reads ) .
Will you get your money's worth is a totally different question and will vary according to your values & situation .
A mechanical idiot who lives 50 miles from the nearest dealer will value absence of failures way above stronger running .
Some one who is mechanically astute might valve fuel economy above all .
We are all different .

Nothing wrong with plain old pump fuel during the mowing season, leaded or unleaded provided it was good when you bought it and fresh .
All of the problems come from storage, where it is stored & under what conditions.
Now with the latter E anything will be a lot more sensitive to the storeage conditions than strait fuel.
My advice to my customers is to buy the smallest quantity you need as you need it during the season.
t the end of the season either fill the tank to the brim or drain the tank completely.
Run the carb dry or on Honda ( & clones ) drain the carb with the drain bolt that is why it is there .
Do that and you will have many years of use without any fuel problems
You can even put some cling wrap over the filler cap then screw the cap on if the cap is vented.
For hand helds tip the fuel out then start the engine & run the carb dry every time you use it unless you are using it daily.
And when you have finished, store it in a cupboard or hard case to prevent mud nesting insects nesting in the exhaust or air intake .

shurguywutt

Threads
There were a lot of technical problems with the way he did that experiment so don't elevate the findings above the level of interesting trend.
Setting up a truely accurate experiment is a very difficult thing to do
Simple things like the distance from the unlined tin wall can make a big difference particularly if that wall was either in full sun or full shade
The mason jars meant nothing apart from the fact that some of them were obviously not sealing properly .
In the first year of college we were given experiments to do to show us various things about physics & chemistry but mostly to familarize us with the equipment & the sort of things that can affect the results.
In the following 3 years we had to design our own experiments and in those 80% of the score was for the design & only 20% for the results.
When you understand the what , why & how it becomes easy to design what appears to be a valid experiment in such a way that yore guarranteed to get the desired results regardless of weather they are actually true of false .
Making a totally unbiased completely objective experiment is unbelievably difficult to do and most of what is on You tube or face ache is poor at best .
All of what you see on TV & in advertising is total trash but unfortunately people believe it .

Just about every engine maker sells their own branded fuel & oil because it is a never ending source of income
And yes the equipment will work best if you use these products according to the directions ( which no one ever reads ) .
Will you get your money's worth is a totally different question and will vary according to your values & situation .
A mechanical idiot who lives 50 miles from the nearest dealer will value absence of failures way above stronger running .
Some one who is mechanically astute might valve fuel economy above all .
We are all different .

Nothing wrong with plain old pump fuel during the mowing season, leaded or unleaded provided it was good when you bought it and fresh .
All of the problems come from storage, where it is stored & under what conditions.
Now with the latter E anything will be a lot more sensitive to the storeage conditions than strait fuel.
My advice to my customers is to buy the smallest quantity you need as you need it during the season.
t the end of the season either fill the tank to the brim or drain the tank completely.
Run the carb dry or on Honda ( & clones ) drain the carb with the drain bolt that is why it is there .
Do that and you will have many years of use without any fuel problems
You can even put some cling wrap over the filler cap then screw the cap on if the cap is vented.
For hand helds tip the fuel out then start the engine & run the carb dry every time you use it unless you are using it daily.
And when you have finished, store it in a cupboard or hard case to prevent mud nesting insects nesting in the exhaust or air intake .
I understand what you are saying and agree to a point however he did leave equipment outside in the elements and it still started off e10. Maybe those subaru engines are real good? It did show that the additives don't do jack. Also that e0 is superior. O2 exposure level to the fuel is a huge factor in storage. I personally only run E0 and never have any problems. I store e10 for my generator but only start it/purge it with e0 and a heavy dose of TC-W3. Once its running good it drinks anything. My other small engines only dine on E0. Never had a problem.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Personally I take anything posted by Tarly with a grain of salt. Just someone who has learned how to make money with a video camera and computer. Most of what I’ve seen skirts the edge of facts and his how to videos don’t always follow good repair procedures. Finally his opinions and procedures are probably just like mine, not worth a darn.

shurguywutt

Threads
I've worked with a lot of people over the years in different fields and you can tell by watching people work how skilled they are. The guy works like he has some skill and it definitely looks like he runs a sucessful shop. Yeah he makes money from youtube but who cares? He's entertaining and he tries to help people learn so more power to him. I am all ears for everyone else's youtube how-tos that they make? Just my opinion and it's like an @%$hole - everyone has one.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cramming a lesson with a lot of humour is a standard & well know technique in teaching.
Weather it is good to do with dangerous things like mowers & chain saws is another matter.
I bypass all of the initial sillyness
And the sillyness is a cheap trick to increase the viewing time which drastically increase the renumeration.
HE is just another mower technician
Some of the stuff is good & some of the stuff is a tad on the redneck side of things but at least very little is downright wrong .
When I first took on the repair run I sat through every one of his videos + Donny boy 87 + a few others.
Just like being on here it is interesting to see how others tackle the same problems that I have.

The take away that most addativies do little more than make you wallet thin is true FOR HIS SHED and not necessarily universally applicable
The experiment was poorly done and not recorded properly
For a start dew points are very important because it is the dew point that determines IF water will condense in your tank
And the absolute humidity that determines how much water will condense, if the dew point gets low enough and how much of the volatile fraction ( aromatics ) evaporate which is why strait fuel goes off .
No volatiles means there is nothing to burn because the fuel remains as droplets and liquids can not burn.
Then there was the actual temperatures , maximums & minimums plus the temperatures when the starting attempt was made.
By the time he got to the end the temperature would have changed drastically and the higher the temperature, the greater amount of aromatics vapourise so the easier they should have started .\
\
As for running a successful shop. each one of those videos would be a full days work, if not two for the shooting then the better part of a third for post production
You can see it in the production which is exceedingly professional . note where the shadows are ( or lack of shadows are ) so there is some one adjusting the lighting, another doing the filming then Taryl himself
The transport company I ran did models, photographers stylists, production houses , avid editing etc so I know just how long setting up this stuff takes .
So I would say Taryl is a film production company that does some mower repairs on the side .