Fuel filters, Use this type, no not that type the other type!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
  • / Fuel filters, Use this type, no not that type the other type!
So what filters are we to use on different fuel delivery systems?
The briggs and stratton pancake filters, or pleated paper filters?
I've used pleated paper filters on all my equipment gravity and pump fed with no issues ever.
Wix 33011 is the main one i use, unless i buy a OEM part for that engine from the IPL.
iu
iu

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I use the white pancake filters on gravity flow systems. The red just are not fine enough to prevent the stuff that is still big enough to cause float not closing issue. I use the pleated paper filter on fuel pump systems. I use to use the Briggs 691035 or the Kohler 24 050 13-s on everything, but with the newer fuel systems that have the vapor recovery system cause a slight vacuum in the fuel tank and can cause issues with using the finer pleated filters with gravity flow systems. Can cause flow restriction issues.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That filter on the right is a terrible design. No bards to hold the fuel lines. I tried them back when I first started and the lines simply keep coming off.

It is micron filtration level that is important not to exceed on gravity fed systems. I only use the pancake filter as upgrades on limited space walk behinds that came with no filters.

Richie F

Threads
Never opened a red or white pancake filter. What are the micron specs for both ?
The pleated filter shown above I have used many times on carbureted VW engines with no problems.
Can't see a problem with a carbed lawnmower engine.
Had to laugh at the Briggs 691035 filter. The element looks exactly like the filter used in many GM carbs.
briggs fuel filter.jpgGM fuel filter.jpg
Those filters are proven to work on 6 and 8 cylinder engines for many years.
Me I would just use the inline paper element and not worry. Gas tank is clean and also the gas and your good to go.
Alfred.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Never opened a red or white pancake filter. What are the micron specs for both ?
The pleated filter shown above I have used many times on carbureted VW engines with no problems.
Can't see a problem with a carbed lawnmower engine.
Had to laugh at the Briggs 691035 filter. The element looks exactly like the filter used in many GM carbs.
View attachment 54316View attachment 54317
Those filters are proven to work on 6 and 8 cylinder engines for many years.
Me I would just use the inline paper element and not worry. Gas tank is clean and also the gas and your good to go.
View attachment 54318
The red is 150 and the white is 75 micron. I don't remember if the 691035 pleated is a 40 or a 60 micron filter.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The red is 150 and the white is 75 micron

My Chevy use the in carburetor mounted version of the paper filter and I had to keep a supply and tools to change them; until, I quite using unleaded plus fuel blend. It was always fun to breakdown in the boondocks because of a clogged filter.

Richie F

Threads
The red is 150 and the white is 75 micron

My Chevy use the in carburetor mounted version of the paper filter and I had to keep a supply and tools to change them; until, I quite using unleaded plus fuel blend. It was always fun to breakdown in the boondocks because of a clogged filter.
I had many Chevy's using the pleated filters along with repairing GM cars in my life.
If that filter got clogged you had dirty gas, a really bad tank or cheap $1 store filters that would collapse.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sorry it wasn't dirty gas, a bad tank, or cheap filters. It WAS the fuel additives that were in the unleaded plus that was the culprit; once I changed fuel grades the problem went away and I haven't fuel any my vehicles with unleaded plus since. It either regular or hi test or I go to another station. BTW at that time I was going through 1 to 3 tanks of fuel a week in that '79 Chevy Malibu with a small v8 getting around 23 mpg combined mileage. I cruised at 32 MPG highway.

You probably argue that I didn't have a 700R4 in too as Amoco did when I wanted an transmission oil change. I won $20 bet on that one. Still I should went with the 200R4 Metric, no telling much better my combine mileage would have been but I decide to trade in the car when it got 400,000 mile on the body.

Richie F

Threads
Sorry it wasn't dirty gas, a bad tank, or cheap filters. It WAS the fuel additives that were in the unleaded plus that was the culprit; once I changed fuel grades the problem went away and I haven't fuel any my vehicles with unleaded plus since. It either regular or hi test or I go to another station. BTW at that time I was going through 1 to 3 tanks of fuel a week in that '79 Chevy Malibu with a small v8 getting around 23 mpg combined mileage. I cruised at 32 MPG highway.

You probably argue that I didn't have a 700R4 in too as Amoco did when I wanted an transmission oil change. I won $20 bet on that one. Still I should went with the 200R4 Metric, no telling much better my combine mileage would have been but I decide to trade in the car when it got 400,000 mile on the body.

First off this should be a different thread.
HOW did you know it was the fuel additives in the gas that caused the problems ? Additives don't make gas jell.
What does a 700R4 have to do with this ?
A 200R4 and the 700R4 are both metric.
Read this and let's move on:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Basically the same as the others
I bought a 50 piece trade pack of the Briggs red's & whites when I stared 7 years ago and really only put them on walk behinds.
Probably got 2/3 still left
Bought a couple of 50 packs of the same filter shown next to it but with barbs on it and it is my go to for most mowers used a couple of trade packs then I found a local importer who sells then in gross packs so I go through 1 every couple of years . Like most small items the logistical costs are greater than the item costs so the big packs work out really cheap.
The look to be from the same factory in Israel & the Stens 120-436 filters .
Where customers fixate on the filter not being full I use Stens 120-562 which is opaque
and fire pumps get a motorcycle filter which is aluminium and has a replaceable sintered bronze filter cause fires down here can easily melt plastic filters.