FS91 strokin

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's only a few months old and not sure about the carb adjustment. If it was a regular 2 cycle, I'd adjust the carb. At 3/4 to WOT, it's strokin hard. But it being a 4 mix, the dealer says that's normal. Only he doesn't understand the what I'm talk about when I say it's strokin.
At just shy of 3/4 throttle, is purr's like a kitten.

I haven't worked on many 4 mix's before. So I'm just wanting another opinion on what it's supposed to sound like at WOT.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What you are saying sounds like it might be hitting the coil's rpm limiter which is set around 9500 rpms. Get out your tach and follow the following tuning instructions.

First set the idle speed and mixture.

1666018632387.png
Without limiter cap the H speed is initially set at 3-1/2 turns from seated position. Enrich slightly to limit top speed below coil's speed limiter. Now you may go over the setting a few times as they do interact.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
4 mix engines don't rev like normal 2 strokes. Reving it with no load like star said will hit the limiter at about 3/4 throttle and will act like bad 4 stroking. 4mix engines have much more low end torque than the older 2 strokes. Load it hard in some heavy grass and see if it needs full throttle. Many older 2 strokes had limiting built into the carb or more likely port timing and they just topped out. 4mix do it with ignition.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll get back to you guys on this in another day or so. Two days ago, I reached down to pull a weed, (bent at the waist) ended up flat on my face from my back going out again. Took me 20 minutes to get up and get back in the house.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You're going to learn getting old isn't for sissies. And with back problems you have to change the way you do things. Like I use a 2T crane to lift 100 lb engines now. Just can't keep screwing up my back.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll get back to you guys on this in another day or so. Two days ago, I reached down to pull a weed, (bent at the waist) ended up flat on my face from my back going out again. Took me 20 minutes to get up and get back in the house.
I feel for ya bro. Been there

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
You're going to learn getting old isn't for sissies. And with back problems you have to change the way you do things. Like I use a 2T crane to lift 100 lb engines now. Just can't keep screwing up my back.

I'm learning. I've pulled thousands of weeds like that. And barely a twinge.

I installed by 2500lb ATV wench a few weeks ago. Comes with a long cord with a control switch. I'm loving it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I'm learning. I've pulled thousands of weeds like that. And barely a twinge.

I installed by 2500lb ATV wench a few weeks ago. Comes with a long cord with a control switch. I'm loving it.
There you go. It is working smarter as you age. I know I get laughed at for using that folding engine crane for picking up 100 lb lawn mower engine or one those heavy ZTR decks but my back thanks every night when I do.

And you can't tell the young that they need be careful about the bodies either. I had one the other shouldered 100 lbs of corn and walk over to my truck. When I was young I use to do something similar with 96 lb Portland cement bag. Those days are long gone.

And I am so bad about turning my ankles that flat refuse to wear dress shoes anymore as the last time I nearly broke my ankle just walking across the yard.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
When i pull a larger engine i take the flywheel off and i can just pick it up. Faster than getting out the engine crane.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Really depends what engine you are pulling. There a lot stuff the has to come many verticals before you even get to the flywheel. Several Kawasaki I had to pull this year only need the sump re-tapped because the mount screws stripped out. And that Kawasaki 3010 engine is where it is nearly impossible to lift it out without one.

Then there was that horizontal shaft drive Cub Cadet that had to be pulled just to get to the ignition coils wiring. Even with the crane it was a pain to get out and just a little easier going back. Mice really did a number on the wiring under the shroud. Darn customer insisted it would only 30 minutes to take out, repair, and put back in. Well it took an hour just to get it out. He bitched to high heaven about the bill so I just charged for the parts and then told him never come back. An year of nit picking was back enough then when he start telling how to do my job that was the final straw.