FS130R clutch

want2know

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an FS130R i bought used. it's ugly, but works well. recently, the clutch has been failing to disengage at idle (the head keeps spinning). Kinda makes it a pain to start. I suspect a broken clutch spring.
I have searched amazon / ebay and found the clutches are like $50??? I wouldn't normally question this, but i see other clutches for Stihl equipment (even heavier duty than this one) for $7 to $17.

Is the clutch on the FS130R model just a "bastard" model that no one wants to carry parts for?

Any pointers from the experts are welcome.
I bought this used for a great deal and cleaned it up. does everything i need it to do and more power than my Echo.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If it is just the 0000 997 5902 spring, it is only around $1.50-$2.00 at your local Stihl dealer. I just brought one back in January.

want2know

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks VERY much for the PN on the spring! But, after tearing into it, the whole clutch is shot.

Just tore it apart and, this thing has been used HARD. I had to pry the power unit from the shaft because the clutch was essentially welded to the drum by way of heat and rust. there is ZERO friction material left on the clutches and they are shiny. The inside of the drum is rusted to the point of being scaly. I will try to salvage it, depending upon the cost of that clutch but the whole thing really needs to be replaced. i was unable to get the bushings out of the clutch (tried heat and hammer, but both broke). This thing may not be worth it. Sucks because the motor is good. Thanks for the help StarTech.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Very rare to have friction material on a trimer clutch the shoes are softer than the drum so they wear.
On a chain saw it is the opposite way round, hard shoes soft drum because the drums are a wear item as they also are the sprocket.
Clean up the rust polish the sliding surfaces of the weights so they slip smoothly and you will probably find it works quite fine .
It is a garden trimer not a heart bypass pump.

want2know

Forum Newbie
Threads
It’s nothing but a power unit now unless I find the bushings and clutch. I paid $20 for it 3 years ago. Just going to have to put the trimmer head back on my other for the time being. Thanks for the info!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Considering the cost of one these 4 mix Trimmer/Brushcutter new you got one heck of a deal and well worth repairing.

Hopefully you only need the clutch parts as the clutch drum can be a bear to change out as it sticks [rusts] to the bearing; besides it is a royal pain to get to the small circlip (snap ring). I got lucky as the FS90 I repaired earlier the bearing was held in place with a screw. But FS130 bearing is held in place with a large circlip and I don't know if it is accessible through clutch drum or fan housing openings for removal. I haven't tried one yet.

The bearing Stihl uses is a NTN 6201-2RS. The local Stihl dealer wanted nearly 27 usd for it so I installed a high quality SpinCo bearing for a lot less. Even if replaced with a NTN I could got for a third of the Stihl price. The dealer got me for the clutch drum, spring, and drive shaft.

Attach is a copy of the IPL pages for the clutch area.

Attachments

• FS130 Fan Housing.pdf
    86.4 KB · Views: 4