FS trimmer series use with brushcutter blades

kaliona

Threads
This might be a noob question. . . but I am a Stihl tool noob. I just inherited several Stihl FS weed trimmers, FS94R, FS130, FS110R, and FS131R. They all need work but I'm sure i can get them working. Are all of these designed to safely use the brush knife or grass cutting blade? And what about the hedgetrimmer attachment? I was told if they don't have a solid shaft they won't be able to handle these different attachments. that doesn't sound right to me. Thanks for your guidance.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You were told the truth.
The flexiable shafts will not take the force from a solid cutting blade.
SO blades should only be fitted to strait shaft trimers.
All of those should have enough balls to do the job.
Before you get too deep pull all of the mufflers off and check for scored cylinders or rings
If there is scoring then that has become a parts donor.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
These model do have a what is called a solid shaft (still hollow tube with solid ends). as they are using the 4137 711 3200 or the 4137 710 3202. Ends can wear roundish as do the mating components and start slipping. Just rebuilt a FS90R where the shaft, clutch drum, and support bearing had to be replaced. Stihl dealer wanted over $26 for 6201ZZ bearing. What a ripoff that I didn't pay as source the bearing from my bearing distributor. With it being a NTN bearing it was only $10.

And I have ran Homelite brushcutters straight shaft models with flex shafts and they do fine as long they have a clutch system. It when they don't have a clutch that give a lot of problems like severe oscillations on heavy impacts that can only be stopped by shutting down the engine.

kaliona

Threads
Thanks for the advice guys. Time to start restoring these trimmers. I hear only good things about Stihl equipment. Are these things worth $100 used if in good working condition? I'm sure I'll only keep one of these and sell the rest.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
YEs , but check the bore for scoring and do a compression test first.
Aftermarket pistons & barrels are reasonable price but genuine Stihl ones are not