FS 70 R add ons

TLloyd

Threads
Hello, We just got started clearing off 1 1/2 acres. The hired mulchers have done their machine work. Now it’s my time to go trim the nubs they left of all the wild privet shrub, then clean up growth and VINES around all the remaining tree trunks! It’s going to be a long summer!
I need to get some type of blade on that weedeater! Stihl doesn’t recommend any shrubbery blades or such for this FS 70 R. I see a lot of videos about circular saw blades. I finally saw one video where the four point brush blade that Stihl has was given good reviews, clearing out property of shrubs and vines. I feel like I really need that barrier bar or extra handle to stabilize the unit with any blade. Do I need a different size deflector also? I’ve had a lot of debris hit me while using this unit. I’m very glad that I bought the Stihl mesh face guard unit!
I appreciate any thoughts and suggestions!
Lloyd

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  Stihl.jpg
From the table above you will see that Stihl only recommends 2 solid cutting heads
However you will also see you have a 1" (24.5mm) arbour and there are 4 heads with that size hole in them
Just be warned that when using a non recommended head you have to go slow as they are designed for much more powerful engines .

TLloyd

Threads
View attachment 63592
From the table above you will see that Stihl only recommends 2 solid cutting heads
However you will also see you have a 1" (24.5mm) arbour and there are 4 heads with that size hole in them
Just be warned that when using a non recommended head you have to go slow as they are designed for much more powerful engines .
View attachment 63592
Thank you for responding! I've used electric and battery powered weed eaters and I've treated them like I heard you should use a circular saw - don't force it, go with what the blade allows to be cut. Something like that. Anyway, with those metal blades I sure won't be using them like an old fashioned scythe blade. I've seen videos where somebody will try out a new metal blade and they must have read reviews where someone wrote the "new saw blade went through vines and trees like a hot knife through butter!" Watching them I can see where you could have a problem I read about - jamming/breaking the drive shaft!! Going slow with a metal blade will be far better than getting up and down and using a chain saw on vines and so on.
Should I go with a larger than stock shield?
Thanks for your time!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Steel capped boot are always a good idea with solid blades to protect your feet from both the blade & debris
Good leather gloves long trousers and long sleeved shirt / jacket
You already have the face shield

TLloyd

Threads
Steel capped boot are always a good idea with solid blades to protect your feet from both the blade & debris
Good leather gloves long trousers and long sleeved shirt / jacket
You already have the face shield
Good idea! I haven't thought about steel capped boots - which I do have! Much thanks!