Front yard help for new house !!!

Natosha Jacobs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, we are finishing up our new house and need some help with the front yard. Right now we had them just seed it with grass, but in the long-term we would like minimal grass and natives/wildlife landscaping (we're in the Southeast). I am wanting to develop a plan that we can add to over the next couple of years but am not sure where to start without it looking incomplete. I will try to post a few better pictures later. Thanks in advance!

IMG_20210206_123446148.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
do nothing other than cut the grass for the first year or so
In hat time have a good look at what is growing in other yards in your area,
Take lots of photos of your yard from the same place early morning midday & late afternoon to get a feel for the amount of sun / shade and direcion of sunlight so you don't end up planting some thing that shades out a goodly portion of the yard in winter when sun angles are low.
When you decide to do something, do it all in one hit .
Do not plant a border hedge of anything but if you want then do a clump of one shrub then an overlapping clump of another.
Your house is not symeterical so do not plant a symeterical garden which will look out of place with the house behind it

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
So glad I live in the countryside where I don't have to please my neighbors but some subdivision have rules as to what is allowed planting wise. Some even boss you about everything.

The only thing I see many new homeowners do is to plant trees under utilities lines without thinking of the long term impact of having them butchered by the utilities tree trimmers. If you wish to plant under these utilities plant low growing types like Dogwoods so they dont get aggressively trimmed.

One other thing got to be taken in the planting is if you have septic system where roots of trees and shrubs can clog the field lines. Some trees do have aggressive root systems.

But personally I plant what I like but I am in the countryside. I did have all the Bradford under the electric/cable lines (30 of them) removed when I first moved here as they were already getting into the lines. I have since replanted using low growing flowering trees.

Born2Mow

Threads
>> We built about 6 years ago. My wife announced she wanted minimal lawn and the rest in natural areas. We ended up with tiny areas at the front and rear steps with "lawn" and the rest in what most would call "pine islands". But it's reversed. The grass is what is the "island", while the natural areas fill the remainder. Furthermore, the grassed areas are not rectangular, but fancy kidney-shaped with curved edges. I thought she had lost it, but it's really gorgeous. And because there are no corners, it's really easy to cut. Mowing is reduced to simply walking around and around. There is no stopping or backing up as there would be in a traditional rectangular plot of grass.

To minimize maintenance in the non-lawn areas, she laid down pasteboard (flattened shipping boxes) and then puts down pine straw or wood chips over that. In this way the areas at the edge of the forested areas that would normally be growing briers, blackberry thorns and other trashy volunteers simply do not grow anything. It also eliminates the need for herbicides and poisons in trying to control types of "brush" common in border areas. Amazon Prime sends us all these landscaping control boxes about twice a week for FREE, and there's always a nice gift inside too !! Pine straw and wood chips also lasts longer since it's not touching dirt. The boxes last about 5 years, at which time we simply cover the old with another layer of pasteboard and pine straw. Autumn leaves are blown off the small grassed areas onto the mulched areas using the mower, by simply starting in the center of the grassed areas. The yard and border areas look perfectly manicured all year round, except that we do less yard work than ever. The overall effect is that it looks as if a lawn care team spends 3 days a week in our yard, when in truth we have never had a pro on the property.

>> You'll want to check the "grass" that your lawn guy put down. In the SE, Fescue grass is planted in the Fall because July heat will burn it up. A better lawn choice might be Centipede, which should be planted in Spring. Once started, Centipede spreads by itself and needs zero fertilizers and other chemical treatments through the year. IOW, less expensive to maintain. The only encouragement it needs is to be cut short, which makes it want to spread. We are in a colder area, and so we planted a cold-tolerant centipede called TifBlair.

>> We have slowly weeded out all the wild cherry trees and other native trash trees. In their place we have about 20 different types of conifers, the most prevalent being Red Cedar. This has 2 HUGE benefits: 1) Year round privacy. 2) Cedars send their roots deep. This keeps tree roots out of our septic system. If you have a septic tank, then you must cut back trees like maples... OR keep the septic maintenance guy on a retainer.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

tversl

Forum Newbie
Threads
I like your house project, unusual. I chose the same type of house project for myself in https://www.boutiquehomeplans.com/farm-house-plans and slightly adjusted the house's layout. In general, I have already had time to deal with the problems of what will heat the home? How to deliver water? Will the house be energy efficient? I was explained that the project must contain an engineering part, which reflects the location of the boiler room, distribution of communications, ventilation system. Also, the choice of technology is directly related to the construction budget. But the house project itself seriously affects it: the more complex configuration, shape of the roof, internal layout, the more expensive it.

Last edited:

Ron3

Threads
I would fertilize it in about 5 weeks then just overseed the bare spots as needed. Keep it mowed at about 3 1/2 inches. You will have a nice yard for next year.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
FYI: Dogwood trees are understory trees. That means they have to be partially shaded. Dogwood trees cannot handle full sun.
You are in the southeast so, Wax Myrtle are excellent native shrub.

Allanseron114

Forum Newbie
Threads
Even if you use a different material for a garden bed border, adding rocks or stones breaks up the profile for an understated natural accent. In many cases, front yard landscaping ideas with rocks can serve an important function, too, like making a rock spillway for your rain gutters that will keep an area from getting too muddy. By simply upgrading or refreshing the border on your flower beds, it will change the whole look of the plants and features already there. There are also enough places online to find house plans with cost to build, so all you have to do is make the best choice.

Last edited: